Finding y'' for Implicitly Differentiated x^4+y^4=1

In summary, to find y'' for x^4+y^4=1, you need to first find y' and then proceed to find y". However, you are having trouble finding y" despite being able to find y'. It would be helpful to show your work so others can identify any errors.
needhelpplz
find y'' (double prime) for x^4+y^4=1

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like homework, so let me ask you, what do you think you should do?

Bitter said:
Sounds like homework, so let me ask you, what do you think you should do?

i know first to find the y' then go on to find y" but i can't find y" i cat get the first part but not the second..

i know first to find the y' then go on to find y" but i can't find y" i can get the first part but not the second..

needhelpplease said:
i know first to find the y' then go on to find y" but i can't find y" i can get the first part but not the second..

What did you get for y'?

Well, show us your work and we can point out your errors.

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used in calculus to find the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of its independent variable. This means that the equation contains both the dependent and independent variables, making it difficult to solve using traditional methods.

2. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when the dependent variable cannot be easily isolated on one side of the equation, or when the equation is too complex to be solved using traditional methods. It is also used in cases where the derivative of the function cannot be found using the power rule or other basic rules of differentiation.

3. How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, you first identify the dependent and independent variables in the equation. Then, you take the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable, treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable. Finally, you solve for the derivative of the dependent variable using algebraic manipulation.

4. Can implicit differentiation be applied to any type of function?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used to find the derivative of any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. However, it may be more challenging for some types of functions and may require the use of additional rules and techniques.

5. What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation has many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. It can be used to find rates of change, optimize functions, and model complex systems. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of an object in motion or the rate of change of a company's profits over time.