How to Solve Implicit Differentiation Problems with Tan(xy)=xy?

In summary, implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is written in an implicit form. It is used when traditional methods are not applicable and involves applying the chain rule and product rule to the function. However, it has limitations for certain functions and is commonly used in science, engineering, and computer graphics applications.
blader324
okay, so i have the problem tan(xy)=xy and i am told to implicitly differentiate in terms of x and y. when i do, i keep getting an indefinite answer. i need help because i know that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
blader324 said:
okay, so i have the problem tan(xy)=xy and i am told to implicitly differentiate in terms of x and y. when i do, i keep getting an indefinite answer. i need help because i know that's not right.
Show your work.

nevermind...i was able to figure it out...sorry about that :)

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function that is written in an implicit form, where the dependent variable is not explicitly expressed in terms of the independent variable.

Why is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is difficult or impossible to find the derivative of a function using traditional methods, such as the power rule or product rule. It allows us to find the derivative of a function without having to solve for the dependent variable.

How do you perform implicit differentiation?

To perform implicit differentiation, the chain rule and product rule are applied to the function. The dependent variable is treated as a function of the independent variable, and the derivative is found by differentiating each term with respect to the independent variable.

What are the limitations of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation cannot be used for functions that are not differentiable, such as those with discontinuities or vertical tangents. It also cannot be used for functions with multiple dependent variables.

What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to analyze the rate of change in a system or to optimize a process. It is also used in computer graphics to create curved surfaces and in image processing to detect edges and shapes.