How can I solve this implicit differentiation problem?

In summary, the conversation is about implicit differentiation and finding the value of dy/dx when it equals zero. The discussion includes an example and a solution for finding possible values of x and y, as well as a clarification on how to find x=1/2 using implicit differentiation.
dankelly08
so I have a implicit diffentiation problem and was wondering if someone could help me out.. I need to figure out how to get

dy/dx=0

so eg if i had

dy/dx = 4xy+2x/5y^2

and you want to write this in terms of y, how is this done? is there a trick?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if dy/dx is to be 0, it follows that:
[tex]x(4y+\frac{2}{5y^{2}})=0[/tex]
Having as possible solutions that either x=0, or [tex]y=-\frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{10}}[/tex]

thanks for your help, but I am still not too sure how this works so how about with this example

1-2x/4+2y = 0

Well, then along the line y=x/4-1/2, dy/dx will equal zero.

ah right thanks, its just I'm trying to figure out in my notes what steps my lecturer took to get x=1/2.. and i can't see how he's done it..

What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable. It involves differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to a given variable, treating other variables as implicit functions of that variable.

When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when an equation cannot be easily solved for a specific variable, such as in cases where the equation involves multiple variables or higher order functions. It is also used to find the slope of a curve at a point where the equation is not explicitly defined in terms of a single variable.

How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is explicitly written in terms of one variable. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, involves finding the derivative of a function that is not explicitly written in terms of one variable. Therefore, implicit differentiation is often used when explicit differentiation is not possible.

What are the steps for implicit differentiation?

The steps for implicit differentiation include: identifying the variable to differentiate with respect to, differentiating both sides of the equation using the chain rule and product rule when necessary, isolating the derivative on one side of the equation, and simplifying the expression to find the final derivative.

What are some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation?

Some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation include forgetting to use the chain rule, not properly identifying the variables in the equation, and making calculation errors. It is also important to remember that the derivative found using implicit differentiation is an expression, not a specific value, and may need to be evaluated at a specific point to find the slope of the curve.