1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Implicit Differentiation:

I Was given the equation find dy/dx:
    (3x3y2 + 7x)
    (x2y3 + 3xy)-
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, i know i have to use the product rule on top, and on bottom and the quotient rule for the fraction so... if i set

s = 3x3
    t = y2
    u = (3x3y2 + 7x)
    w = x2
    n = y3
    z = 3x
    q = y
    v = (x2y3 + 3xy)

ds = 9x2
    dt = 2y(dy/dx)
    du = (s(dt) + t(ds)) + 7)
    dw = 2x
    dn = 3y2(dy/dx)
    dz = 3
    dq = 1(dy/dx)
    dv = (w(dn) + n(dw)) + (z(dq) + q(dz))

Quotient rule: v(du) - u(dv)/(v2)

ok, I'm just making sure i didn't make a mistake.

so now i do:

(x2y3 + 3xy)((3x3(2y(dy/dx)) + y2(9x2)) + 7)) - (3x3y2 + 7x)((x2(3y2(dy/dx)) + y3(2x)) + ((3x(1(dy/dx)) + 3y)
    (x2y3 + 3xy)2

I had a tutor help me out in Implicit Diff. but i still don't really remember this stuff unless i look at it, and i almost always get different from the professor, is the above correct ( without factoring?) it looks alot easier on my paper lol. and i'm supposed to be ready for this kind of magnitude questions on my exam :S i also don't know how i am going to be able to get dy/dx out of my equation, any tips there?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2
    you should group all the terms that has dy/dx in it on the other side. then factor out dy/dx.

4. Oct 2, 2008 #3
    ok, but once i have (dy/dx)*(long equation) i can't just subtract dy/dx to the other side?

5. Oct 2, 2008 #4
    you wont subtract it. you just have to divide the other side by the long equation you said.

6. Oct 2, 2008 #5
    well then, i feel stupid lol i even knew that ^.^ i differentiate the other side as well, which was = 7x -> 7

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?