1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the set defined by the equations
    [tex]x + y + z + w = sin(xyzw)[/tex]

[tex]
    x - y + z + w^2 = cos(xyzw) - 1[/tex]
    can be described explicitly by equation of the form (z, w) = f(x, y) near the point (0,0,0,0); find the first partial derivatives of f(x,y) at the point (0,0)

2. Relevant equations

The above bolded part is the part I'm unsure about...

3. The attempt at a solution

I did:
    [tex]
    G = x + y + z + w - sin(xyzw)[/tex]

[tex]
    H = x - y + z + w^2 - cos(xyzw) + 1[/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{\partial (G, H)}{\partial (x, y)} + \frac{\partial (G, H)}{\partial (z, w)} \frac{\partial f}{\partial x } = 0
    [/tex]

Then I solved for [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2
    I think the note of "near the point (0,0,0,0)" is a clue that you can use the small angle approximation of

[tex]
    \sin\theta = \theta,\quad

\cos\theta = 1,\quad

\texttt{when }\theta \texttt{ is small.}
    [/tex]

I'm not fully understanding what the question is asking, but I'm interpreting it as saying you need to find

[tex]
    z = f_1(x,y)
    [/tex]

[tex]
    w = f_2(x,y)
    [/tex]

From there, I would calculate
    [tex]
    \left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_1(0,0)}{\partial x}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \left.\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_1(0,0)}{\partial y}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \left.\frac{\partial w}{\partial x}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_2(0,0)}{\partial x}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \left.\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}\right|_{(0,0)} = \frac{\partial f_2(0,0)}{\partial y}
    [/tex]

As I said, though, I may not be properly understanding the question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook