1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit differentiation

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}[/tex] where y is defined implicitly as a function of x

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]x\sin(xy)=x[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]x(\cos(xy)(x\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}+y))+\sin(xy)=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}=\frac{1-\sin(xy)-xy\cos(xy)}{x^2 \cos(xy)}[/tex]

Apparently the correct answer is [tex]\frac{1-y\cos(xy)}{x}[/tex]

Thanks !!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2
    This is a wild guess:

xsin(xy)=x=>sin(xy)=1

[tex]\frac{d[sin(xy)]}{dx}=0\Rightarrow cos(xy) \frac{d(xy)}{dx}=0 \Rightarrow cos(xy)[y+x\frac{dy}{dx}]=0 \Rightarrow x\frac{dy}{dx}=-y \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{y}{x}[/tex]

I have no confidence on this, just a though. And still have y on the right side.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. Jan 2, 2010 #3
    I can easily see that dy/dx=-y/x when sin(xy)=0, so I'm not sure how that helps, but thanks anyway !

5. Jan 2, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean you are "not sure how that helps"? dy/dx= -y/x is the answer!

But apparently you have written something incorrectly.
    [tex]\frac{1- ycos(xy)}{x}[/tex] certainly is NOT the derivative of x sin(xy)= x and it does not make sense to me that they would leave that extraneous "x" in the equation.

6. Jan 2, 2010 #5
  7. Jan 2, 2010 #6
    OK, I've got it now. Seems I've been led astray by the "apparent" answer.

8. Jan 2, 2010 #7
    Sorry, I am still not sure on this.....

Is it really valid to cancel x here ?

How did cos(xy) disappear ?
    And why is my attempt in my initial post wrong ?

9. Jan 2, 2010 #8
    OK, more on this. Finally I think I have it. Both methods result in -y/x. In the simple method where we cancel x first, we have the proviso that x is not equal to 0 and in the method I wrote initially, my "result" also relies on x not equal to 0 (and also cos(xy) not equal to zero). Once this assumption is made then my result simplifies to -y/x

Glad that's out of the way.

10. Jan 2, 2010 #9
    You expand it out, move one term to the right side, cos(xy) is on both side and can be cancel just like x on your original equation. I only wrote down every other step to save me typing all the Latex!!!! Write it out, you'll see.

One thing still bug me is there is still y on the right side and the question specified y is a function of x so I expect there is no y on the right side!!!!

11. Jan 2, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's nothing wrong with dy/dx=(-y/x) as the solution to an implicit differentiation. To really find y(x) you could solve that differential equation. Or better yet just look back at sin(xy)=1. That means xy is a constant, right? It really seems odd to have that x on both sides of the problem definition. I suspect it's a typo.

12. Jan 2, 2010 #11
    I thought about that last night already, [tex]xy=\frac{2n\pi}{2}\Rightarrow y=x\frac{2n\pi}{2}[/tex].

So [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{2n\pi}{2}[/tex]

It just don't look like a normal answer to me!!!! Or is it just me??!!

13. Jan 2, 2010 #12

diazona

Homework Helper

[tex]xy = n\pi[/tex]
    becomes
    [tex]y = \frac{n\pi}{x}[/tex]

14. Jan 2, 2010 #13
    I am confussing myself!!!!!

For [tex]sin(xy)=1 \Rightarrow xy=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

This is the only value in each cycle of 2\pi. Therefore:

[tex]xy=\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi[/tex] n=0,1,2.....

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\frac{y}{x}=-\frac{(\frac{\pi}{2}+2n\pi)}{x^{2}}[/tex]

Am I getting this? I seem to have a mental block on this!!!!

15. Jan 2, 2010 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, you want y=(2n+1/2)*pi/x. It's easy enough to check that dy/dx=-y/x alright. Still a funny problem for implicit differentiation.

16. Jan 2, 2010 #15
    I know!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook