Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Jul 13, 2003 #1
    Hi. I'm taking a Calculus course right now and I simply cannot understand Implicit Differentiation or the Related Rate problems. My text book does not do a good job explaining it. It is a very accelerated class and I cannot get it and I need to know it in two days for a mid term.

I just don't understand the concept.. or well any of it.

Could someone explain it to me?

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2003 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forget you're doing something "fancy" and just apply the rules of differentiation... remembering that if you're differentiating with respect to, say, x, the other variables are functions of x.

e.g.

xy = 1

rememebr that y is a function of x, so write as:

x y(x) = 1

then differentiate both sides using the product rule

y(x) + x y'(x) = 1

and now if you want something interesting like y'(1), you just have an ordinary algebra problem... you have two unknowns, y(1) and y'(1), and two equations.

4. Jul 13, 2003 #3

Dx

Hi!

here is a good site for example to help you. visual calculus I find it easier to use the power rule for finding Dx after you have all variables to one side = 0.
    Dx :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?