Can someone explain Implicit Differentiation and Related Rates in Calculus?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with understanding Implicit Differentiation and Related Rate problems in their Calculus course. They express frustration with their textbook and the accelerated pace of the class. One person suggests forgetting the complexity and simply applying the rules of differentiation, while another provides a helpful website for visual examples.
Azrioch
Hi. I'm taking a Calculus course right now and I simply cannot understand Implicit Differentiation or the Related Rate problems. My textbook does not do a good job explaining it. It is a very accelerated class and I cannot get it and I need to know it in two days for a mid term.

I just don't understand the concept.. or well any of it.

Could someone explain it to me?

Thank you in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Forget you're doing something "fancy" and just apply the rules of differentiation... remembering that if you're differentiating with respect to, say, x, the other variables are functions of x.

e.g.

xy = 1

rememebr that y is a function of x, so write as:

x y(x) = 1

then differentiate both sides using the product rule

y(x) + x y'(x) = 1

and now if you want something interesting like y'(1), you just have an ordinary algebra problem... you have two unknowns, y(1) and y'(1), and two equations.

Hi!

here is a good site for example to help you. http://archives.math.utk.edu/visual.calculus/3/implicit.7/ I find it easier to use the power rule for finding Dx after you have all variables to one side = 0.
Dx :wink:

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a method used to find the derivative of a function that is expressed implicitly in terms of x and y. This means that the function is not explicitly solved for y, but rather contains both x and y in the same equation.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function that is explicitly solved for y in terms of x. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, is used for functions that are not explicitly solved for y, but rather have both x and y in the same equation.

3. Why is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful because it allows us to find the derivative of a function that cannot be solved explicitly for y. This is often the case with more complex functions, making implicit differentiation a valuable tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

4. What are the steps for performing implicit differentiation?

The steps for performing implicit differentiation are as follows: 1) Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to x, treating y as a function of x. 2) Use the chain rule to differentiate any terms with y in them. 3) Solve for y' (the derivative of y) and simplify if possible.

5. In what applications is implicit differentiation commonly used?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in applications involving related rates, optimization problems, and curve sketching. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and analyze various systems and phenomena.