How to find the rate of decrease of water height in a tank

In summary, we are given a problem where water is flowing from a tank of constant cross-sectional area through an orifice of constant cross-sectional area located at the bottom of the tank. We are asked to find the rate at which the height of the water is decreasing when its height is 9 ft. Using the given equation, we can use the chain rule to find the rate of change of the height with respect to time. After solving for the derivative, we can plug in the given values and round the answer to two decimal places to find the rate at which the height is decreasing.
psymple

Homework Statement

Water flows from a tank of constant cross-sectional area 54 ft2 through an orifice of constant cross-sectional area 1.7 ft2 located at the bottom of the tank.
Initially the height of the water in the tank was 20 and its height t sec later is given by the following equation.

How fast was the height of the water decreasing when its height was 9 ft? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)____________1 ft/sec

Homework Equations

2(sqrt H) +1/24t-2(sqrt 20)=0 (0<=t<=50(sqrt 20))

The Attempt at a Solution

First let me say that this is my very first post-so forgive if i did not do everything up to par. TIA for all the help this site will bring.

Im almost clueless. I think I have to write it out;
dH/dt 2H^2 + (1/24t)^2 -2(20)^2=0
then we have to minus the dH/dt chain rule out;
2(1/24t)(1/24) -2(20)^2=(1) dH/dt (4H) = 1/288t=4H dH/dt
then divide out
dH/dt = (1/288)/4h

Am I even close??
thanks again and please advise if i am posting equations wrote!

Physics news on Phys.org
psymple said:
Im almost clueless. I think I have to write it out;
dH/dt 2H^2 + (1/24t)^2 -2(20)^2=0
then we have to minus the dH/dt chain rule out;
2(1/24t)(1/24) -2(20)^2=(1) dH/dt (4H) = 1/288t=4H dH/dt
then divide out
dH/dt = (1/288)/4h

Am I even close??
thanks again and please advise if i am posting equations wrote!

I'm not sure what you are doing here;

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(2\sqrt{H(t)}+\frac{1}{24}t-2\sqrt{20}\right)=\frac{d}{dt}\left(2\sqrt{H(t)}\right)+\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{24}t\right)-\frac{d}{dt}\left(2\sqrt{20}\right)\neq 2H^2\frac{dH}{dt}+\left(\frac{1}{24}t\right)^2-2(20)^2[/tex]

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the derivative of a function where the dependent variable is not explicitly defined in terms of the independent variable. This means that the equation cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable, and instead, the derivative is found with respect to the independent variable.

2. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

Explicit differentiation is used to find the derivative of a function where the dependent variable can be easily solved for in terms of the independent variable. On the other hand, implicit differentiation is used when the dependent variable cannot be easily solved for, and the derivative is found with respect to the independent variable.

3. When is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when dealing with equations that cannot be easily solved for the dependent variable. This often occurs when the equation is written in a non-standard form, such as a polynomial equation or an equation with multiple variables.

4. What is the process for performing implicit differentiation?

The process for implicit differentiation involves differentiating both sides of the equation with respect to the independent variable. The dependent variable is treated as a function of the independent variable and the chain rule is applied when necessary. The goal is to isolate the derivative of the dependent variable on one side of the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics and engineering to model real-world situations, such as motion and rate of change. It is also useful in economics and finance to analyze relationships between variables and determine optimal solutions. Additionally, implicit differentiation is used in computer graphics and image processing to manipulate and enhance images.