1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Implicit differentiation

1. Mar 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Water flows from a tank of constant cross-sectional area 54 ft2 through an orifice of constant cross-sectional area 1.7 ft2 located at the bottom of the tank.
    Initially the height of the water in the tank was 20 and its height t sec later is given by the following equation.

How fast was the height of the water decreasing when its height was 9 ft? (Round your answer to two decimal places.)____________1 ft/sec

2. Relevant equations

2(sqrt H) +1/24t-2(sqrt 20)=0 (0<=t<=50(sqrt 20))

3. The attempt at a solution
    First let me say that this is my very first post-so forgive if i did not do everything up to par. TIA for all the help this site will bring.

Im almost clueless. I think I have to write it out;
    dH/dt 2H^2 + (1/24t)^2 -2(20)^2=0
    then we have to minus the dH/dt chain rule out;
    2(1/24t)(1/24) -2(20)^2=(1) dH/dt (4H) = 1/288t=4H dH/dt
    then divide out
    dH/dt = (1/288)/4h

Am I even close??
    thanks again and please advise if i am posting equations wrote!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure what you are doing here;

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\left(2\sqrt{H(t)}+\frac{1}{24}t-2\sqrt{20}\right)=\frac{d}{dt}\left(2\sqrt{H(t)}\right)+\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{1}{24}t\right)-\frac{d}{dt}\left(2\sqrt{20}\right)\neq 2H^2\frac{dH}{dt}+\left(\frac{1}{24}t\right)^2-2(20)^2[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook