1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use implicit differentiation to find an equation of the tangent line to the curve at the given point.

x^2+y^2=(2x^2+2y^2-x)^2 @ (0,(1/2))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So, I don't have a problem differentiating this.

Which I get 2x+2y(dy/dx)=2(2x^2+2y^2-x)(4x+4y(dy/dx)-1)

I am having trouble getting (dy/dx) alone. I was wondering if I could plug in the coordinates and treat (dy/dx) like a variable (e.g. being added and subtracted to other dy/dx like 1(dy/dx)-2(dy/dx)=-1?)

So, could I just plug in (0,(1/2))? Also, I have a test tomorrow and I was wondering in your expert opinions (I know you don't know my professor), but do you think it would be possible that he wants me to simplify this on a test instead (I mean is that more shall I say proper)?

If that is the case when I have 2 large polynomials is it true that I can do something like:
    using (2x^2+2y^2-x)(4x+4y(dy/dx)-1) take out 4y(dy/dx) and multiply it by the other polynomial? by that I mean

(2x^2+2y^2-x)(4x+4y(dy/dx)-1) becomes (2x^2+2y^2-x)(4x-1)+4y(dy/dx)(2x^2+2y^2-x)

or like (2x^2+2y^2-x)(4x+4y(dy/dx)-1) is equivalent to (2x^2+2y^2)((4x+4y(dy/dx)-1)-x(4x+4y(dy/dx)-1)?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should probably bone up on your algebra skills then, eh?
    Yes, that is a very good idea to simplify it quickly, especially when time is at a premium.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted