1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Differentiation

1. Feb 14, 2015 #1
    I unfortunately keep on getting the wrong answer to this problem.

I am supposed to find: dw/dy(1/(w^2+x^2)+1/(w^2+y^2))

I attached a picture of how I tried to solve it. Help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. What you wrote above doesn't mean what you think.
    I believe what you are supposed to do is use implicit differentiation to find ##\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}##, although that is not clear from what you wrote on the first line. On the third line you have a mistake. Since ##\frac{1}{w^2 + x^2}## does not involve y, its partial derivative with respect to y is zero.

4. Feb 14, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

That 2y should also be part of the multiplication. Double check your application of the chain rule on (w^2+y^2).

5. Feb 14, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You mean that you need to find ∂w/∂y given that (1/(w2+x2)+1/(w2+y2)) = 1. Right ?

Hello Sebastian B. Welcome to PF !

In your third equation, you need to have parentheses around ##\displaystyle \ \left( 2w\frac{\partial w}{\partial y}+2y \right) \ ## .

After that the algebra is messed up.

Don't forget; the right side of the equation is zero at that point.

6. Feb 14, 2015 #5
    Mark 44: Thank you for your feedback. I realised that I wasn't clear enough with stating my problem, but you figured out what I meant. However,
    \[\delta\]w/\[\delta\]y (w^2+x^2) does not equal zero, because w could be dependent on y

7. Feb 14, 2015 #6
    Ruber and Sammys thanks a lot for the feedback, it helped a lot! I finally figured it out and got the correct answer thanks to you guys. What a dumb error that was. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted