1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit function theorem

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume the F(x,y,z) = 0 defines z implicitly as a function of x anf y. Show that

2. Relevant equations

∂z/∂x = -(∂F/∂x)/(∂F/∂z)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know this question is asking about the Implicit function theorem

So I start with F(x,y,z) =0

define it for z = F(x,y)

gives F(x,y,f(x,y))=0.

My problem is where to start to show that F(x,y,f(x,y)=0 shows ∂z/∂x = -(∂F/∂x)/(∂F/∂z)

How do I show the partial derivative ∂z/∂x of F(x,y,f(x,y)) ?
    regards
    Brendan

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

F(x, y, f(x, y)) = 0, so, taking the partial with respect to x of both sides, and using the chain rule, you get:
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial z}\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

After you simplify the left side above ([itex]\partial x/\partial x[/itex] is 1, and since x and y are independent variables in this problem, [itex]\partial y/\partial x[/itex] is 0), it's easy to show what you're asked to show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook