1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Function Theorem

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Can the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 3, xy + tz = 2, xz + ty + e^t = 0 be solved for x, y, z as C^1 functions of t near (x, y, z, t) = (-1, -2, 1, 0)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The mixed-partial derivatives matrix I got was:
    [2x, 2y, 2z, 0]
    [y, x, t, z]
    [z,t,x, y+e^t]

Plugging in the numbers I get:
    [-2, -4, 2, 0]
    [-2, -1, 0, 1]
    [1, 0, -1, -1]

I know the theorem states that when this matrix is invertible, it means explicit functions exist, however, how should I proceed as the matrix is not square?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The point in question, (-1, -2, 1, 0) is not on the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 3. IOW, the first three coordinates of this point don't satisfy the sphere's equation. That seems problematic to me.

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3
    I just looked up the errata for the textbook I was using. It looks like the author made a mistake and the first equation is actually supposed to be x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 6.

So with that, and re-reading the theorem, I think the answer should be as follows:

The mix-partial derivatives matrix of the variables I want to solve for is:
    [-2, -4, 2]
    [-2, -1, 0]
    [1, 0, -1]

Determinant of this is non-zero. Therefore, the conclusion is that explicit functions are possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook