Solving Implicit Functions: F1(x), F2(x) near 0

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving determining functions and computing partial derivatives. The problem statement involves an equation with two functions, F1(x) and F2(x), and the task is to determine if they implicitly determine functions near 0. The solution involves computing the determinant of a matrix and using a formula for the derivative given in class notes. There is some confusion about whether the derivative should be evaluated at x2 = 0 or kept in terms of phi1(x2), x2, phi2(x2). In the end, the conclusion is that if the calculations are correct, the derivative will be (0,0) at x2 = 0.
asif zaidi
Hello:
I thought I had this but in doing the problem I realized I didn't (or maybe I didn't).
One of the problems was that in class and notes all examples were done in terms of f(x,y). Obviously in h/w, the problem is given as f(x1,x2,x3) - just to confuse me !

Problem statement

a- For the following equation, decide whether they implicitly determine functions near 0
b- If the equation implicitly determine a function, compute the partial derivatives at 0

Equation:

F1(x) = ( x1[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x2[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x3[tex]^{2}[/tex] )[tex]^{3}[/tex] - x1 + x3 = 0;
F2(x) = cos (x1[tex]^{2}[/tex] + x2[tex]^{4}[/tex]) + exp(x3) - 2 = 0

Solution

For Part a-

I know I have to compute the determinant of a matrix. So for this example I played out with x1,x2,x3 and saw which determinant would not be 0. I came up with the following matrix.

B(x) = [partial_der_F1 (x1) partial_der_F1 (x3) ; partial_der_F2(x1) partial_der_F2(x3) ]. Evaluating this at 0, I get the following matrix

[-1 1; 0 1] and the determinant of this matrix is -1 != 0. So I can take the inverse of this matrix

Thus I can say that for each x2, the following function F(phi1(x2), x2, phi2(x2) ) = 0 where phi1 and phi2 are unique functions.

I think I have part a right. It is part b I am having problems with

For part b:

The formula for the derivative given in class notes is -B(x,g(x))[tex]^{-1}[/tex] A(x,g(x))

B = matrix calculated above
A = partial derivative of F1, F2 (2x1 matrix) with respect to x2.

Now my question is do I have to evaluate this at x2 = 0 or can I just leave it in terms of phi1(x2), x2, phi2(x2).

Whats confusing me is that if I compute A wrt x2 and evaluate at x2=0, I will get a 0 matrix.

Thanks in advance

Asif

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked over the baby Rudin treatment of this theorem (pg. 224-228) and my conclusion is that the formula given for a derivative in your class notes holds when evaluated at the point. Thus [tex]\left(\phi_1^\prime (0),\phi_2^\prime (0)\right)=(0,0)[/tex] is my conclusion if your calculations are correct.

1. What is an implicit function?

An implicit function is a mathematical function that is defined by an equation in which the dependent variable cannot be expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable. In other words, the function is not given in the form of y = f(x).

2. How do you solve implicit functions?

To solve an implicit function, you need to use techniques such as implicit differentiation or implicit integration. This involves treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable and using basic calculus rules to find its derivative or integral.

3. Why is it important to solve implicit functions near 0?

In many scientific and mathematical applications, it is necessary to find the behavior of a function near 0. This is because 0 is often a critical point or point of interest in many equations and studying the behavior of the function near 0 can provide valuable insights into its properties.

4. What are F1(x) and F2(x) in the context of solving implicit functions near 0?

F1(x) and F2(x) are two different implicit functions that are being solved simultaneously near 0. This often occurs in systems of equations or equations with multiple variables, where both F1(x) and F2(x) are functions of the same independent variable, x.

5. What are some common applications of solving implicit functions?

Solving implicit functions is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is often used to model complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid dynamics, population growth, and chemical reactions. It is also used in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum of a function.