1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Integration?

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about posting with no effort shown
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate
    $$v = \sqrt{2g\frac{T-v \pi r^2t}{\pi R^2}}$$

where g,T,r,R are constants

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried playing around with the variables, but I am not sure how to integrate this. Just give me a little bit of hint would do. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Integrate what? Are you solving for ##v##as a function of ##r## or ##t## for example, then calculating ##\int v\, dr## or ##\int v\, dt##? Or, are you solving for (say) ##r## as a function of ##v## then computing ##\int r \, dv##? Or are you trying to do something else?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    I sincerely apologize for my lack of explanations.

v is velocity and t is time. The rest are just constants. I want to integrate velocity vs. time to find the displacement equation

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It will be messy. Just solve for ##v## as a function of ##t## (I.e., ##v = f(t)##) then integrate, or try to. You will get a quadratic equation in ##v##, so there will be two roots (that is, two functions ##v = f_1(t)## or ##v = f_2(t)##) and you will need to figure out which one is the correct root, probably using other information that you have.

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Thank you very much, I think I have a basic understanding now! Very appreciate it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted