1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit Mapping Theorem for a Surface

1. Apr 7, 2013 #1
    The question, from Edward's Advanced Calculus (which is becoming a rather frustrating book), asks if the following surface can be represented as a function of ##z(x,y)## near the point ##(0,2,1)##:

[tex]xy - ylog(z) + sin(xz) = 0[/tex]
    Naturally, this should invite me to use the Implicit Mapping Theorem, but I've seen this theorem presented mostly for systems of equations, rather than a single case. But anyhow, let the surface be called ##G({\bf{x}},{\bf{y}})##, where ##{\bf{x}} = (x,y)## and ##{\bf{y}} = z##. Then,
    [tex]\frac{\partial{G}}{\partial{z}} = xcos(xz) - \frac{y}{z}[/tex]
    So at ##(0,2,1)##, ##G'((0,2),(1)) = -2##. Thus, since the invertible "matrix" is non-singular, there exists a neighborhood near ##(0,2,1)## for which the surface can be represented as a function of ##z##.

I suspect this is correct, but being confused by some notation, I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?