Implicit Partial Differentiation

In summary, we need to find the partial derivative \partial z / \partial x given an implicit equation x + y + z = \cosh xyz. We can start by taking the partial derivative of both sides with respect to x, but it is important to specify what is being held constant when taking the derivative. From the context of the problem, it is assumed that y is held constant while x and z are allowed to vary. Using this assumption, we can solve for \partial z / \partial x and obtain an expression in terms of partial differentials.
jdstokes
If there is such a thing. I need to find [itex]\partial z / \partial x[/itex] given [itex]x + y + z = \cosh xyz[/itex]. I've never seen the likes of this before and I haven't a clue where to start. Would a reasonable start be to take [itex]\partial /\partial x[/itex] of both sides? If so, it seems like I'm going to end up with an expression in terms of partial differntials.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdstokes said:
If there is such a thing. I need to find [itex]\partial z / \partial x[/itex] given [itex]x + y + z = \cosh xyz[/itex]. I've never seen the likes of this before and I haven't a clue where to start. Would a reasonable start be to take [itex]\partial /\partial x[/itex] of both sides? If so, it seems like I'm going to end up with an expression in terms of partial differntials.

The symbol [tex]\partial z / \partial x[/tex] is incomplete. We do it all the time, but a symbol for a partial derivative is never complete without specifying what is being held constant when the derivative is taken. You need to decide from the context of your problem what is being held constant here. If z is being held constant, then the partial derivative is zero. On the other hand, if z = z(x,y) and only y is being held constant it is a completely different problem.

All I am given is that z is given implicitly as a function of x and y by the above equation. I take this to mean that y is held constant while x and z are allowed to vary.

How about mine:

[tex]z^2=Sin[xz]+xy[/tex]

Assuming z is a differentiable function of x and y and I want the partial of z with respect to x, let's take that partial of both sides:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\{z^2=Sin[xz]+xy\}[/tex]

[tex]2z\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=Cos[xz](x\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+z)+y[/tex]

Isolating the partial:

[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}=\frac{zCos(xz)+y}{2z-xCos[xz]}[/tex]

Now, I bet you can do yours!

Thanks for the worked example. I got [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{yz\sinh xyz -1}{1 - xy\sinh xyz}[/itex].

jdstokes said:
Thanks for the worked example. I got [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{yz\sinh xyz -1}{1 - xy\sinh xyz}[/itex].

Put parenthesis around xyz. It's ambiguous as written. :smile:

1. What is implicit partial differentiation?

Implicit partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the partial derivatives of a function that cannot be easily expressed in terms of its variables. It involves differentiating both sides of an equation with respect to one or more variables and then solving for the desired partial derivative.

2. How is implicit partial differentiation different from explicit partial differentiation?

The main difference between implicit and explicit partial differentiation is that in implicit differentiation, the function is not explicitly written in terms of its variables, whereas in explicit differentiation, the function is explicitly written in terms of its variables. This makes implicit differentiation more useful for solving complex or nonlinear equations.

3. What is the chain rule in implicit partial differentiation?

The chain rule is used in implicit partial differentiation to find the derivatives of composite functions. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

4. When is implicit partial differentiation used in real-world applications?

Implicit partial differentiation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems. It is particularly useful when dealing with systems that involve multiple variables and complex relationships between them.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit partial differentiation?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using implicit partial differentiation include not differentiating both sides of the equation, forgetting to apply the chain rule correctly, and not simplifying the final expression. It is also important to carefully keep track of the variables and their corresponding partial derivatives throughout the process.