Implicitly find the second derivative of x^2- y^3= 3

• Thread starter BraedenP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derive
In summary, to find the second derivative of the equation x^2-y^3=3, use the quotient rule and chain rule to differentiate the first derivative, replacing any occurrences of the first derivative with the previously found value. The resulting equation should be in terms of x and y, but not the first derivative.
BraedenP

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] of the following equation:

[tex]x^2-y^3=3[/tex]

Homework Equations

Quotient Rule: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{f(x)}{g(x)})=\frac{g(x)\cdot f^{'}(x)-f(x)\cdot g^{'}(x)}{g^2(x)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the first derivative: [tex]\frac{2x}{3y^2}[/tex]

But I'm stuck as to how I'd find the second derivative. I can generate answers, but none of them are correct.

How would I go about doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
BraedenP said:

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/tex] of the following equation:

[tex]x^2-y^3=3[/tex]

Homework Equations

Quotient Rule: [tex]\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{f(x)}{g(x)})=\frac{g(x)\cdot f^{'}(x)-f(x)\cdot g^{'}(x)}{g^2(x)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the first derivative: [tex]\frac{2x}{3y^2}[/tex]

But I'm stuck as to how I'd find the second derivative. I can generate answers, but none of them are correct.

How would I go about doing this?
You have
[tex]y' = \frac{2x}{3y^2}[/tex]

Use the quotient rule (and chain rule) to find y''. Replace any occurrences of y' by what you already found so that y'' is in terms of x and y, but not y'.

Mark44 said:
You have
[tex]y' = \frac{2x}{3y^2}[/tex]

Use the quotient rule (and chain rule) to find y''. Replace any occurrences of y' by what you already found so that y'' is in terms of x and y, but not y'.

I'm so retarded. I forgot to equate the whole thing to y', and instead I equated it to 0 and solved for y' again. Ugh.

Thanks for your help!

From [itex]x^2- y^3= 3[/itex], [itex]2x- 3y^2 y'= 0[/itex].

I would NOT solve for y' here. Instead, just differentiate "implicitely" again:
[itex]2- (6yy')y'- 3y^2y''= 0[/itex] so
[tex]y''= \frac{6y(y')^2- 2}{3y^2}[/tex]

That is, in my opinion, a perfectly good answer but you could now use [itex]y'= 2x/(3y^2)[/itex] to get y" in terms of x and y.

1. What is the meaning of "Implicitly Derive an Equation"?

Implicitly deriving an equation means finding the derivative of a function that is defined implicitly, rather than explicitly. This means that the function is not expressed in terms of a single independent variable, but rather in terms of multiple variables. The derivative is found by using the chain rule and treating the dependent variable as a function of the independent variable.

2. How do you implicitly derive an equation?

To implicitly derive an equation, you must first identify the dependent and independent variables in the equation. Then, use the chain rule to find the derivative by taking the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. Finally, solve for the derivative by isolating it on one side of the equation.

3. What is the difference between implicit and explicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is defined implicitly, while explicit differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function that is defined explicitly. In explicit differentiation, the dependent variable is expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable, while in implicit differentiation, the dependent variable is not expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable.

4. Why is implicit differentiation useful?

Implicit differentiation is useful in cases where the dependent variable cannot be easily expressed explicitly in terms of the independent variable. This can occur when dealing with complex functions, such as implicit equations, implicit curves, and implicit surfaces. It also allows for finding the derivative of a function without explicitly solving for the dependent variable.

5. What are some common applications of implicit differentiation in science?

Implicit differentiation is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving motion and rates of change. It is also used in economics and finance to analyze relationships between variables. In chemistry, it can be used to determine reaction rates and equilibrium conditions. Additionally, implicit differentiation is used in many other fields such as biology, computer science, and statistics.