1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implse and collisions

1. May 16, 2004 #1
    impulse and collisions

I have one problem I've been trying to do, but I'm stuck on it. In this one, two ice skaters collide into each other. The specifics are as follows:
    Skater 1 (mass 58.96 kg) is travelling at 7.15 m/s. She then collides with skater 2 (mass 49.89 kg) who is at rest. During the collision, skater 1 pushes skater 2 as hard as she can, imparting an average force of 1300 N over a period of .75 seconds. The questions are how fast are skater 1 and skater 2 moving after the impact.

I 've got the whole force over time thing is impulse, so I've got that
    (m1v1f + m2v2f) - (m1v1i + m2v2i) = 975
    and breaking it down, collecting like terms, and inserting values I already know, it works out to
    5896 v1f-49.89 v2f = 1396.564
    Unfortunately, this formula still has 2 unknown values, and I can't think of a second formula to use to do substitution.

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2004 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Your formula is incorrect!
    The force imparted by skater 1 one skater 2 is an INTERNAL FORCE, hence, it does NOT contribute to momentum change of the center of mass of the 2 skaters.
    The correct set of equations are therefore:
    [tex]m_{1}v_{1,f}+m_{2}v_{2,f}-(m_{1}v_{1,i}+m_{2}v_{2,i})=0[/tex]
    [tex]m_{2}v_{2,f}=975[/tex]

4. May 16, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

arildno's solution is, of course, completely correct. But a slightly simpler set of equations can be obtained by realizing that the skaters exert equal and opposite forces on each other:
    [tex]m_{1}v_{1,f} -m_{1}v_{1,i} =-975[/tex]
    [tex]m_{2}v_{2,f}=975[/tex]

But most important is to understand that both methods are valid and equivalent.

5. May 16, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I agree; using Newton's 3.law in an explicit manner is more straightforward

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?