1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of College Process

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    I am at Rutgers in New Jersey. My grades are good, my extracurriculars are good but I have no real field experience and probably won't have anything before I graduate. Will this severely hurt my chances in being accepted into a pHD program? Is it recommended to drop other extracurriculars and force experience into my schedule?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
    What are you studying? By experience do you mean research experience?

4. Mar 28, 2009 #3
    I'm studying chemistry (physics concentration) and a math minor. sorry I didn't make that clear - yes, I was referring to research experience.

5. Mar 28, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Not severely. I can imagine by extra-curricular activities you mean things like student governments and clubs and so on and so forth? If i were a department/professor looking for grad students that are going to spend the next several years working with (for) you, I think i could give a hoot about stuff the student does that doesn't relate to their discipline.

6. Mar 28, 2009 #5
    exactly...started a couple programs, participated in sports and clubs, and have 2 jobs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook