• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Schools Importance of College Process

I am at Rutgers in New Jersey. My grades are good, my extracurriculars are good but I have no real field experience and probably won't have anything before I graduate. Will this severely hurt my chances in being accepted into a pHD program? Is it recommended to drop other extracurriculars and force experience into my schedule?

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you studying? By experience do you mean research experience?

What are you studying? By experience do you mean research experience?
I'm studying chemistry (physics concentration) and a math minor. sorry I didn't make that clear - yes, I was referring to research experience.

Pengwuino

Gold Member
I am at Rutgers in New Jersey. My grades are good, my extracurriculars are good but I have no real field experience and probably won't have anything before I graduate. Will this severely hurt my chances in being accepted into a pHD program? Is it recommended to drop other extracurriculars and force experience into my schedule?
Not severely. I can imagine by extra-curricular activities you mean things like student governments and clubs and so on and so forth? If i were a department/professor looking for grad students that are going to spend the next several years working with (for) you, I think i could give a hoot about stuff the student does that doesn't relate to their discipline.

Not severely. I can imagine by extra-curricular activities you mean things like student governments and clubs and so on and so forth?
exactly...started a couple programs, participated in sports and clubs, and have 2 jobs.