Will Extracurriculars Alone Impact My Chances for a PhD Program at Rutgers?

In summary, the individual is studying chemistry with a physics concentration and a minor in math at Rutgers in New Jersey. They have good grades and extracurricular involvement, but no field experience and do not expect to have any before graduating. They are concerned about this potentially impacting their chances of being accepted into a PhD program and are wondering if they should drop extracurriculars to make room for research experience. The speaker clarifies that by extracurriculars, they mean things like student government and clubs. They also mention having two jobs and starting some programs.
intrepid_nerd
I am at Rutgers in New Jersey. My grades are good, my extracurriculars are good but I have no real field experience and probably won't have anything before I graduate. Will this severely hurt my chances in being accepted into a pHD program? Is it recommended to drop other extracurriculars and force experience into my schedule?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are you studying? By experience do you mean research experience?

Flat said:
What are you studying? By experience do you mean research experience?

I'm studying chemistry (physics concentration) and a math minor. sorry I didn't make that clear - yes, I was referring to research experience.

intrepid_nerd said:
I am at Rutgers in New Jersey. My grades are good, my extracurriculars are good but I have no real field experience and probably won't have anything before I graduate. Will this severely hurt my chances in being accepted into a pHD program? Is it recommended to drop other extracurriculars and force experience into my schedule?

Not severely. I can imagine by extra-curricular activities you mean things like student governments and clubs and so on and so forth? If i were a department/professor looking for grad students that are going to spend the next several years working with (for) you, I think i could give a hoot about stuff the student does that doesn't relate to their discipline.

Pengwuino said:
Not severely. I can imagine by extra-curricular activities you mean things like student governments and clubs and so on and so forth?

exactly...started a couple programs, participated in sports and clubs, and have 2 jobs.

1. Why is the college process important?

The college process is important because it allows individuals to gain knowledge, skills, and experiences that can help them succeed in their future careers. It also provides opportunities for personal growth and development, networking, and exposure to diverse perspectives and ideas.

2. How does the college process impact future career opportunities?

The college process can impact future career opportunities in several ways. First, it provides individuals with a degree or certification that can be beneficial when applying for jobs. Additionally, the college experience allows individuals to gain knowledge and skills that are relevant to their chosen career path. It also provides opportunities for internships, research, and networking, which can help individuals make valuable connections and gain practical experience in their field.

3. What are the benefits of attending college?

Attending college can provide numerous benefits, including increased job opportunities, higher earning potential, and improved critical thinking and problem-solving skills. College also allows individuals to explore different areas of study and discover their passions and strengths. It also provides opportunities for personal growth and development, exposure to diverse perspectives, and the chance to build a strong network of peers and mentors.

4. Is college necessary for success?

While college is not necessary for everyone, it can greatly increase an individual's chances of success. College provides individuals with the knowledge, skills, and experiences that are highly valued in the job market. It also allows individuals to develop important soft skills, such as time management, communication, and teamwork, which are essential for success in any career. Additionally, college can provide individuals with a strong network of connections and resources that can help them achieve their goals.

5. How can I make the most out of the college process?

There are several ways to make the most out of the college process. First, it is important to choose a college and program that aligns with your interests and goals. This will make the college experience more enjoyable and fulfilling. Additionally, take advantage of opportunities for internships, research, and extracurricular activities to gain practical experience and build your resume. It is also important to network with peers, professors, and professionals in your field to make valuable connections. Lastly, make sure to prioritize your mental and physical health to ensure a well-rounded and successful college experience.