Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of constants

1. Aug 3, 2006 #1
    why should there is a 'constant' in a formula in which charactors on both sides are propotional to each other? and what should be the importance of it?:confused:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2006 #2
    Two quantities are said to be proportional when their ratio is a constant. If some variable y is proportional to another variable x, then their ratio, y/x, is a contant.

y/x = k => y = kx. (k is some constant)

4. Aug 3, 2006 #3
    im not sure that i understood ur question...
    are u asking what role constants play in pysical equations?

because is u do, my answer is that those constants are there to keep all physical equations in the same unit system...

lets take the niotonic equation on the gravitational force:
    F=GMm/r^2
    this equation in principle is the same as : F=Mm/r^2.

though such formation of the equation, will not give us the force in newtonic units, so we cannot compare this force to other known foces other than gravity...

i hope i was clear though my crippled skills in english...

5. Aug 3, 2006 #4

rbj

you can define units that get rid of these constants of proportionality. these are often called "natural units". check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

and take your pick of which constants to lose.

6. Aug 3, 2006 #5

it does not contradict with what i said.
    all i said that constants are there to keep a all physical properties in a certain system of units.

ofcours u may use those "natural units", after all the newton unit was defined by multiplying our earthly gravity with mass.

but u cannot compare two forces from different equalities of a property.
    if there is nothing to say, just say nothing, im annoyed that u just spill words without relating to what i wrote, maybe its because im tierd... no matter...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?