1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of constants

1. Aug 3, 2006 #1
    why should there is a 'constant' in a formula in which charactors on both sides are propotional to each other? and what should be the importance of it?:confused:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2006 #2
    Two quantities are said to be proportional when their ratio is a constant. If some variable y is proportional to another variable x, then their ratio, y/x, is a contant.

y/x = k => y = kx. (k is some constant)

4. Aug 3, 2006 #3
    im not sure that i understood ur question...
    are u asking what role constants play in pysical equations?

because is u do, my answer is that those constants are there to keep all physical equations in the same unit system...

lets take the niotonic equation on the gravitational force:
    F=GMm/r^2
    this equation in principle is the same as : F=Mm/r^2.

though such formation of the equation, will not give us the force in newtonic units, so we cannot compare this force to other known foces other than gravity...

i hope i was clear though my crippled skills in english...

5. Aug 3, 2006 #4

rbj

you can define units that get rid of these constants of proportionality. these are often called "natural units". check out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

and take your pick of which constants to lose.

6. Aug 3, 2006 #5

it does not contradict with what i said.
    all i said that constants are there to keep a all physical properties in a certain system of units.

ofcours u may use those "natural units", after all the newton unit was defined by multiplying our earthly gravity with mass.

but u cannot compare two forces from different equalities of a property.
    if there is nothing to say, just say nothing, im annoyed that u just spill words without relating to what i wrote, maybe its because im tierd... no matter...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook