Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of enthalpy

1. Oct 25, 2005 #1
    i understand enthalpy, what it is, how it changes. I have only two questions... first, as enthalpy changes the Pressure can change also (i know it doesent have to, but my book seems to be attempting to tell me that it never changes) and secondly could someone present a problem in which enthalpy could be usefull in solving? (only a concept for a problem would suffice)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2005 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

fortunately enthalpy has an fundamental description. H=U+PV. You can apply calculus, algebra....whatever, but it's not gonna help you to assume any absolutes about such concepts. Enthalpy is useful for most situations, if you're given specific limitations, you can even simplify enthalpy to internal energy for instance.

enthalpy doesn't have to be constant pressure, dH=dU+PdV+VdP, and you don't need to have constant pressure, you can even apply enthalpy towards a constant volume process.

4. Oct 25, 2005 #3
    ohh.. duh its just a simplification (or an attempt therof) to help in the finding of volume or pressure or one of the other described variables.. as allways, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?