1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of Graduate Quantum Mechanics 2 in Materials Science?

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    Hello forum. I am a future M.S. Physics student (Fall 2012) that aspires to eventually obtain a PhD in some sort of materials science. Specifically, my interests lie in soft matter, thermodynamics and self assembled materials, but I am open minded to other directions. My M.S. school has the 2nd graduate semester of Quantum Mechanics as an elective instead of as a core class, and I would like to know about how useful and difficult it would be.

Course description:

Graduate Quantum Mechanics II

Scattering, rotation group and irreducible tensor operations, identical particles, semi-classical radiation theory, atoms, path integral formalism, and other selected topics.

What are the applications of these topics in materials science/condensed matter physics?

How challenging is this course in terms of time spent and difficulty of concepts?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted