Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of Punctuation

1. Sep 25, 2004 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This has been around for years, but thought I'd share with any that haven't seen it yet.

Importance of punctuation

Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy--will you let me be yours?
    Gloria

Dear John:
    I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
    Yours,
    Gloria

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2004 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

It's interesting how much punctuation can have an effect on what we write. By just moving a few commas or periods around (without changing any words, whatsoever), the letters are completely different from one another.

Good example, though.

4. Sep 25, 2004 #3
    lol!

Like John, don't like John.

Punctuation is very important. =)

5. Sep 25, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh yes. And when you omit the comma that separates clauses, you can make for a real interesting faux pas.

Newspaper ad :

Wanted. Bath-tub for baby with reinforced bottom.

6. Sep 25, 2004 #5
    Have any of you read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Trust? It is a pretty entertaining book about punctuation.

7. Sep 25, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard the joke, but haven't read the book. Since the joke itself is pertinent to this thread, and there may be a few here that haven't heard it, here goes :

A panda walks into a cafe. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and fires several shots, completely wrecking the place. “Why?” asks the confused waiter as the panda heads for the exit. The animal produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it to the waiter. “I’m a panda,” he says at the door. “Look it up.”

The waiter turns to the relevant entry and reads: “Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.”

8. Sep 25, 2004 #7
    Wait, who's John, anyway?

9. Sep 26, 2004 #8
    It is on my table downstairs. I might read it soon, if I have time. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

10. Sep 26, 2004 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a good one. :rofl:

11. Sep 26, 2004 #10
    I also have it but haven't been able to pick it up.

12. Sep 26, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow ! Is it that heavy ?

13. Sep 26, 2004 #12
    Yep. It is full of intellectual (quality) jokes. Therefore the mass is higher than a normal joke book.

e.g. Normal Book: 0.01kg or 10 g per Chapter
    Quality Book: 0.05kg or 50g per Chapter

Normal Book = 10 Chapters
    => 10g x 10 C = 100g

Quality Book = 40 Chapters
    => 50g x 40 C = 2000g or 2 kg.

This simple example shows that a normal book is lighter than a quality book. :smile:

The Bob (2004 ©)

14. Sep 26, 2004 #13
    No, it's just I'm too weak to pick it up. I've only been able to pick up a few sheets of paper at a time now. Hopefully, by the end of the year, I'll be able to pick it up.

15. Sep 29, 2004 #14

I messed with it some more. (Just removed one word.)

Dear John:
    I want a man!
    Who knows what love is? All about you? Are generous, kind, thoughtful, people (who are not like you admit to being) useless and inferior? You have ruined me! For other men I yearn for, you have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart!
    I can be Forever happy. Will you let me be?
    yours,
    Gloria

16. Sep 29, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well messed. Bravo ! :smile:

17. Sep 29, 2004 #16

LURCH

Science Advisor

I almost hate to admit it, but some friends and I used to mess around with punctuation in the Bible. There is no punctuation in the original text, so my conscience is somewhat releaved. We mostly just moved commas around.

For instance, Romans 1:13 can read; "...I would not have you, ignorant bretheren..."

Or Ephesians 4:28; "He that has been steeling, let him steal! No more let him work and do something usefull with his hands..."

18. Sep 29, 2004 #17

Evo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yep, those little symbols are important. :wink:

19. Sep 29, 2004 #18
    that that is is that that is not is not…

I once saw nearly a paragraph of words similar to the above. If I had only saved a copy it would have gone great with the theme of this thread. Now for a pause that refreshes...,

20. Sep 29, 2004 #19

Evo

Damn I'm good!!! :rofl:

I found it.

that that is is that that is not is not that that is is not that that is not that that is not is not that that is is that not it it is

http://www.creativepuzzels.nl/spel/speel1/speel2/punct-2.htm

21. Sep 29, 2004 #20
    You're damn good !

That’s it :yuck: and it's simply maddening to my mind to attempt reading such rubbish. It is much worse than 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles I so despise. :cry: :uhh: :eek:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?