Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Importance of the Electron

1. Jul 24, 2011 #1
    My question is simple and it is probably a very basic thing, but for some reason I don't know the answer to this question.
    Why does the electron orbit the nucleus and what is the importance of the electron orbiting the nucleus?? Why can't it just be the nucleus that makes up the atom? Whats so important about the electron?? (besides its practical uses, like how humans use it) Why is the electron apart of the atom??

So it would be of immense gratitude if someone could answers these questions.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Why? Other than because that is just how it is?

Anyways, the nucleus is full of positive charges. Without electrons we would not have matter as we know it, as none of these nuclei would ever bond with each other thanks to the repulsive force from like charges. The electrons don't orbit the nucleus in the normal sense of the word orbit, they occupy "orbitals" and have a probability wavefunction that defines where they might be found at any given time.

I don't really know what else to say other than that's just how it is.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3
    Well, thank you, that explanation was very clear and it was very helpful thanks!

Au Revoir.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook