The Importance of Zero: Uncovering its Significance

• Thread starter strid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Zero
In summary: infinity is not a number because it can't be divided by anything, but zero is not a number because it doesn't exist in reality.
matt grime said:
And exactly how does that stop the "problem" you've created? x-x=0 should be on the "line of numbers".

I'll have to confess that that is a little problemtaic... but for the moment, let just throw the result of x-x of the line of numbers... if something equal nothing, it doesn't exist on the line... at least for the moment... will think if I can get a better solution...

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow! You just "threw" 0 onto the line of numbers. Good Job!

So, you're going to allow subtraction of numbers unless they're equal. How is this any less philosophically dubious than disallowing 1/0?

Moo Of Doom said:
Wow! You just "threw" 0 onto the line of numbers. Good Job!

I "threw" zero off, not onto, the line of numbers...

I'll let zero exist as a concept but not as a number. So when you subtract tvo equal numbers you get the concept zero, which is nothing. Similarly, if someone asks how many points exist on a line, the asnwer will be the concept infinity. So neiter infinity or zero is a "quantitiy"...

so my line of numbers would be something like this...

continue to infinitely negative big... -100... -50... -5... -1... -0,5... -0,1... -0,01... -0,0001 ... continue to negative infinitely smalll... ... ...continue to infinitely small... 0,0001... 0,01... 0,1... 0,5... 1... 5... 50... 100... continiue to infinitely big

weird to write it on computer without a timeline, but I hope you get the picture...

But you're still not being consistent. You want the result of all subtractions (and additions) to be strid defeind, which you also claim you want to be a "strid number", so why isn't x-x=0 a strid number? And why if you're allowed to say that x-y is a binary operation, except when x=y, are we not allowed to state that x/y is a well defined binary operation except when y=0? You're just being completely inconsistent.

strid said:
so can anyone come up with a place where the zero is good,,..

you mean one like this?

n^-1 = 1/n

n^0 = 1

n^1 = n

or

[tex] n^0 =1 [/tex]

Last edited:
katlpablo said:
you mean one like this?

n^-1 = 1/n

n^0 = 1

n^1 = n

or

[tex] n^0 =1 [/tex]

sorry to disappoint you but n^0=1 isn't true for n=0...

0^0 is undefined and according to me (and many other) just the same as 0/0...

I'm sure he meant, [itex]n \not{=}~ 0 [/itex].

This thread has run its course, wot ?

Last edited: