Important Mythologies

I am making a site that deals with the important mythologies. I want to include as many as possible. So far I have these:

Greek
Roman
Norse
Celtic
Chinese
Egyptian
American Indian
African

What am I missing?

Answers and Replies

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.

[edit] Just want to make it clear that I'm being serious. It is my opinion that if you think that Greek mythology is silly, then the stuff they teach in the bible, etc are equally rediculous.

Last edited:
BoulderHead
Central and South American peoples.

enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hindu
Japanese
Pacific Islandic
Babylonian/Assyrian/Ancient Middle-Eastern
Inuit

Get a globe, close your eyes, and point.

Also:

Australian Aborigine mythology
Mythology of the Maori people of New Zealand.

Cheers.

Originally posted by dduardo
Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc.

[edit] Just want to make it clear that I'm being serious. It is my opinion that if you think that Greek mythology is silly, then the stuff they teach in the bible, etc are equally rediculous.
actually I believe greek mythology is scientific fact, please exuse me as I go pray in my zeus shrine out back.

Njorl
Science Advisor
Russian/slavic
Finno-Ugric, Gotta love that Kalavalla

and, the purely fictional ones

Middle Earth
Lovecraftian
Wicca

Njorl

Eskimo and Canadian Indian (although you may have meant to cover these with American Indian).

Pre-Hindu India

Zoroastrian and other Persian and Middle Eastern Mythologies

jimmy p
Gold Member
What about Germanic Mythology? Druidic? Ooh ooh, there is a question in this weeks Telegraph Crossword which is this

'The German god of thunder, counterpart of the Norse god Thor (5)'

and i have no idea at all, so any input is cool

What about Eastern European Mythology, the Russians have some story about a random dude called Dazhdbog (charming name), the son of the Almighty Perun and a mermaid named Ros...well thats all i can be bothered to read of the google header thing!

jimmy p
Gold Member
actually dont worry bout the Telegraph crossword question, GOOGLE held the answer to that as well...for all those who are interested the German equivalent of Thor was called Donar

Not forgeting the Druids, and other Pagans.

And of course environmentalism.... the new anti-scientific mystical Mythology!

jimmy p
Gold Member
i said druids!

jcsd
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The druids were an elite Celtic warrior caste whose exact function or 'extantness' outside of the Goidelic Celts is not well known.

hinduism christianity judaism budhism etc are all actual religions and no shouldnt be included in that forum. the list you had greg seems fine to me...

Middle Earth
Lovecraftian
Wicca
i dont think those would go in mythology really... wouldnt they be in ivans forum?

dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Originally posted by Shadow
hinduism christianity judaism budhism etc are all actual religions and no shouldnt be included in that forum.
So your telling me that American Indian polytheism isn't a religion. Because they aren't the mainstream they are put into the category of mythology.

Rain god help my harvest grow. boom boom!!

megashawn
Science Advisor
from dictionary.com:

1:
A. A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes.
B. A body of myths associated with an event, individual, or institution: “A new mythology, essential to the... American funeral rite, has grown up” (Jessica Mitford).
Uhm, by the above defintion, how could any of the four you claim are not mythologies be excluded.

Aside from turning this into an arguement, could you please show us something that makes stories from the bible or koran more then a myth?

BoulderHead
And I would add to the comments of Megashawn and dduardo that it is no myth either that I'll be found this year involved in the annual Deer Dance, which is an all day affair held on the 21st of Dec. I don't think things are as dead as many believe, not that I'm religious mind you, but many of the participants are.

Democracy;
Two religions voting a third to be only a myth.

selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
not that I'm religious mind you, but many of the participants are.
Sounds like a lot of people at church.

BoulderHead
Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Sounds like a lot of people at church.
LOL