IMPORTANT QUESTION: Effects of UV and cosmic rays on bismuth

In summary, the conversation centers around trying to determine the approximate age of a manufactured bismuth/magnesium/zinc composite using the effects of UV, cosmic rays, or other energetic particles. The age estimation could be done through microscopic examination and estimating the number of cosmic ray impacts, as well as looking for any isotopic changes due to these particles. The reason for wanting to determine the age is related to a mysterious alloy with a similar composition that was given to someone by an unknown source and has unusual elemental distribution. There is some disagreement and tension between the participants on whether this method is feasible and whether compensation is expected for providing information and advice.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is an unusually important question.

Could one determine the approximate age of a manufactured bismuth/magnesium/zinc composite somehow by the effects of UV, cosmic rays, or some other type of energetic particle acting on the material? For example, by microscopic examination or by some other means, could one estimate the number of cosmic ray impacts on the material and from this estimate the approximate amount of time since the material was manufactured. Also, does any kind of isotopic change happen over time; perhaps again due to cosmic rays or the like? If we could determine the age of this composite to within 10 years or so we could probably proceed. We are assuming that this was made in the 1970s.

We have the material but we cannot identify the manufacturer. It is imperative that we can estimate the age of this stuff. Any suggestion? The potential cost of testing is not a concern.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't know, but why? Is it related to something I saw on TV, regarding an alloy that was given to some person by someone unknown, that is supposedly alien? The current owner had taken it to many metallurgists and they couldn't figure anything out. I know this is a vague reference. I think the composition of this alloy did prove to be tremendously unnatural, I think it had bismuth and magnesium though. And it had an unusual distribution of elements in it, it wasn't isotropic, I don't remember what though, maybe micro-strata?

Originally posted by Jonathan
Sorry, I don't know, but why? Is it related to something I saw on TV, regarding an alloy that was given to some person by someone unknown, that is supposedly alien? The current owner had taken it to many metallurgists and they couldn't figure anything out. I know this is a vague reference. I think the composition of this alloy did prove to be tremendously unnatural, I think it had bismuth and magnesium though. And it had an unusual distribution of elements in it, it wasn't isotropic, I don't remember what though, maybe micro-strata?

Any discussions like that are posted in the Pseudo Science section.:smile:

I know that, I didn't mean to imply I wanted to hijack the thread or something, I just wanted to know why, which you still haven't anwsered. [b(]

Originally posted by Jonathan
I know that, I didn't mean to imply I wanted to hijack the thread or something, I just wanted to know why, which you still haven't anwsered. [b(]

You’re barking up the wrong tree on this one.
I am an industrial consultant by profession.

I've worked with radiation detectors, and have never heard of this type of measurement. In principle, however, I suppose it's possible if the dE/dx is high enough and the surface is "clean" enough.

I would imagine that it would work something like this: The traversing particle creates an energy spike, whose corresponding temperature is high enough to locally melt the material. As the energy spike relaxes, the melted region grows (widens) until the energy density of the spike falls below the melting threshold.

It would be pretty easy to estimate size of the damaged region in this model (I have a formula for it somewhere), but I would anticipate that it might be too small i.e., there might be too much noise from other surface defects. Good luck!

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
You’re barking up the wrong tree on this one.
I am an industrial consultant by profession.

--- and, you want free money from PF? Or, are you planning to split the consulting fee for this with Greg?

Originally posted by Bystander
--- and, you want free money from PF? Or, are you planning to split the consulting fee for this with Greg?

I provide free advice and information to other people - on a professional level, I would venture more than most. Is this a one way street?

Do you have a personal grievance with me for some reason? [?]

Last edited:

1. What is bismuth and why is it important to study its reaction to UV and cosmic rays?

Bismuth is a chemical element with the symbol Bi and atomic number 83. It is a rare metal that is often used in various industrial and medical applications. Studying its reaction to UV and cosmic rays is important because it can help us understand how these radiation sources affect different materials and potentially develop ways to protect against their harmful effects.

2. How do UV and cosmic rays affect bismuth?

UV and cosmic rays can cause changes in the physical and chemical properties of bismuth. They can break chemical bonds and create new ones, leading to the formation of different compounds. These radiation sources can also cause bismuth to become more reactive and potentially toxic.

3. What are the potential health implications of UV and cosmic ray exposure on bismuth?

The health implications of UV and cosmic ray exposure on bismuth are still being studied. However, it is known that bismuth can become more reactive and potentially toxic when exposed to these radiation sources. This could potentially lead to negative health effects in humans if they are exposed to bismuth that has been altered by UV or cosmic rays.

4. Can bismuth be protected from the effects of UV and cosmic rays?

Yes, there are ways to protect bismuth from the harmful effects of UV and cosmic rays. One method is to use a protective coating on the surface of the bismuth, such as a thin layer of metal or plastic. Another method is to shield the bismuth from exposure to these radiation sources by using materials that can absorb or deflect them.

5. What further research is needed to fully understand the effects of UV and cosmic rays on bismuth?

There is still much to learn about how UV and cosmic rays affect bismuth. Further research is needed to better understand the specific mechanisms of how these radiation sources interact with bismuth, as well as the potential health implications of exposure to bismuth that has been altered by them. Additionally, more studies are needed to develop effective methods for protecting bismuth from these radiation sources.