1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imposible Integral?

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have to find the definite integral of: [itex]\int\left(\sqrt[3]{1-x^{7}}-\sqrt[7]{1-x^{3}}\right)dx[/itex] with bounds [0,1]

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that this can be done with hypergeometric functions, but I ca't use them because "we haven't seem them yet", so I have to do this with "everyday" integration tools. The only thing I was told was that I have to start with a substitution and the last part would be a cyclical integral, which tells me that I probably have to also use integration by parts in the middle.

I'm not asking for someone to give me the answer right away, I just need a starting point/mini-guide to help me get to the answer on my own, although I'm grateful with any kind of help (: Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2
    Which substitutions have you tried so far?

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    u= x7, x3, 1-x3, 1-x7

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Sure that's not a definite integral with bounds of [0,1]?

Because there's a neat trick to immediately and trivially evaluate it in that case. See my earlier post in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=571323

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    Wow, that's a really nice trick. :approve:

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6

It is!!! Sorry, I thought I put the bounds on the integral. I'm new here so I probably didn't do it right...fixed the post (: and thanks for that trick!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook