Impossible Materials for Sci-Fi Story: Ideas & Tests Needed

In summary, a golf ball sized hopping toy that is made from a material that is physically impossible in our universe would be magical.
ktoz
I'm in the process of fleshing out some ideas for a story and one part of the story centers around a golf ball sized hemispherical hopping toy. I want the toy to be magical in the sense that it is made from a material that is physically impossible in our universe. Whatever this material is I want it to actually be impossible. (with our current understandings) So things like neutron star stuff, black hole stuff, antimatter, quark crystals etc are ruled out because they exist.

One idea might be a material that is a gigantic, hoppy-toy shaped superposition, which is stable at all temperatures.

Another idea might be frozen quantum foam.

I'd be interested in getting some other ideas for impossible materials along with tests we could use to determine that they are not of this world. I'm not looking for elves and hobbits or wizards and sorcerers types of magic, but materials that would be scientifically magical.

Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
at first blush any material that acted in opposition on N 1-3/ It would HAVE TO

denverdoc said:
at first blush any material that acted in opposition on N 1-3/ It would HAVE TO

What does that mean? Could you explain in layman's terms as I have no idea what "N 1-3/" is...

a ball that acts (and looks) like a liquid yet retains it's shape, you can put an object through it and that object (say finger) will show up on the other side without ever penetrating the ball. it retains enough attraction within itself that if you squeezed it in your hand it would pop out of the other side and yet if you hold it up to your fingers you can poke right through it sort of like a space warp you could hold.

ktoz said:
What does that mean? Could you explain in layman's terms as I have no idea what "N 1-3/" is...

any material that does not obey Newton's laws.

Last edited:
light_bulb said:
...sorta like a space warp you could hold.

l like that idea thanks!

denverdoc said:
any material that does not obey Newton's laws.

Ah OK. Thanks.

1. What are some examples of impossible materials for a sci-fi story?

Some examples of impossible materials for a sci-fi story include: - Unobtainium, a fictional material with infinite strength and durability- Adamantium, a metal that can withstand extreme temperatures and is virtually indestructible- Chroniton, a substance that allows time travel - Neutronium, a material that is incredibly dense and can be used as a power source - Plasma, a state of matter that can be manipulated and used as a weapon or energy source.

2. How can these impossible materials be tested or proven in a story?

These materials can be tested or proven in a story through experiments, simulations, or demonstrations. For example, a character could perform a strength test on unobtainium to show its indestructible properties, or a scientist could use a time machine made of chroniton to travel through time. The tests and experiments can also serve as a way to showcase the capabilities and limitations of these impossible materials.

3. Are there any limitations to using impossible materials in a sci-fi story?

Yes, there are limitations to using impossible materials in a sci-fi story. While these materials may have incredible properties, they should still follow some basic scientific principles to maintain a sense of realism. Additionally, the use of these materials should make sense within the context of the story and not feel forced or unrealistic.

4. How can the use of impossible materials impact the plot of a sci-fi story?

The use of impossible materials can significantly impact the plot of a sci-fi story. These materials can serve as a catalyst for the conflict or obstacles that the characters must overcome. They can also introduce new possibilities and challenges that the characters must navigate, leading to unexpected plot twists and turns.

5. Are there any ethical considerations when using impossible materials in a sci-fi story?

Yes, there may be ethical considerations when using impossible materials in a sci-fi story. These materials can have immense power and potential consequences if misused or mishandled. As such, it is essential to consider the ethical implications of their use and how it may affect the characters and the world they live in. Additionally, exploring the ethical dilemmas surrounding the use of these materials can add depth and complexity to the story.