1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impossible question?

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    Hi, the students that are the year below my year level sat their external physics exam recently. Only problem was, there seems to be an impossible question in the paper:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/skyglow1/impossibleq.jpg

This is a scan from the paper. It seems like theres no way you can do part (c) of the question. This is from CIE examinations so I find it very hard to believe they could have made such a massive mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2006 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you can always say something like:

Current in lamp Y = 12V/ R_Y or so, no ?

It doesn't mean that you cannot do the last exercise.

4. Nov 10, 2006 #3
    That was what I was thinking too, but it says calculate so I'm inclined to think its a numerical answer instead of interms of R_Y. And at this level you wouldn't be expected to say something like "Let R_Y be the resistance of lamp Y, then I = 12/R_Y".

5. Nov 10, 2006 #4

rsk

I agree. I didn't realise you meant this was a real exam today - I was about to look up the markscheme online. it will be interesting to see what it (and the examiners report) contains, when it eventually appears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?