1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral (Calc II)

1. Jun 28, 2011 #1
    Been doing some calculus review to knock the rust off for this coming fall semester and I got stuck...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

From Stewart's book (Early Transcendentals: 6E): (7.8 pg517 #69)

Determine how large the number "a" has to be so that:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\stackrel{\infty}{a}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}[/itex]dx <.001

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I can easily picture the graph and the area under it. I figured I'd integrate, use "a" for my lower bound and "t" for the upper bound, then by using the potential equation it's just a simple matter of solving for "a" while taking the limit of said equation as t goes to infinity.

I managed to get:

arctan (t) - arctan (a) < 1/1000 (I suck at "latex" but this should technically be the limit of those arctans as t -> infinity < .001)

Here is where I think I'm screwing up... I take the tangent of both sides:

tan [arctan t -arctan a] < tan (1/1000) - and I'm stuck, I know I can't just apply the tangent function independently to both parameters giving me t - a < tan (.001) is there some trig identity I'm not thinking of..?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2011 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take the limit as t → ∞ .

[tex]\lim_{t\to\infty}\,\arctan(t) = ?[/tex]

4. Jun 29, 2011 #3
    Ugh... Sorry to waste your time. The limit is pi/2, all I had to do was take the limit and I was already done lol. For some reason I thought there would be no limit for the arctan and that was bothering me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook