How to Solve an Improper Integral Problem

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a definite integral problem involving the function dx/[(x)(2x+5)]. The person has been working on it for half an hour and cannot seem to get the correct answer. They have compared their solution to Wolfram's solution and it does not match. They are asking for assistance in finding their mistake and provide more information about their attempted solution.
learningsumth

Homework Statement

hi, I've been working on this for the past half hour and i can't seem to get the right answer

definite integral from 1 to infinity, dx/[(x)(2x+5)]
[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP558719f9237h7g3ceg5000000h4efg42afe11g4c?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=27&w=272&h=39

The Attempt at a Solution

i keep getting (2/5)ln(7) as opposed to (1/5)log(7/2) that wolfram gives me.

thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to see what your mistake is if you don't show us your work.

learningsumth said:

Homework Statement

hi, I've been working on this for the past half hour and i can't seem to get the right answer

definite integral from 1 to infinity, dx/[(x)(2x+5)]
[PLAIN]http://www3.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP558719f9237h7g3ceg5000000h4efg42afe11g4c?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=27&w=272&h=39

The Attempt at a Solution

i keep getting (2/5)ln(7) as opposed to (1/5)log(7/2) that wolfram gives me.

thanks so much!

LCKurtz - can you show some work so we might be able to find where you went wrong? For example, how did you perform integration?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that does not have both limits of integration as finite numbers or where the function being integrated has a vertical asymptote within the limits of integration.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, you can use the limit comparison test, comparison test, or integral test to evaluate it. If it is divergent, you can use the limit comparison test or comparison test to show that it does not have a finite value.

3. What are the different types of improper integrals?

There are two types of improper integrals: Type I and Type II. Type I improper integrals have one or both limits of integration as infinite numbers, while Type II improper integrals have a vertical asymptote within the limits of integration.

4. Why are improper integrals important?

Improper integrals are important because they allow us to integrate functions that would otherwise be impossible to integrate using standard methods. They also have applications in various fields of science, such as physics and engineering.

5. How can improper integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Improper integrals can be used to solve real-world problems by representing physical quantities, such as velocity and acceleration, as functions and then using integration to find their values over a given interval. They can also be used to find the area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields like economics and statistics.