How can substitutions in definite integrals affect the original variable?

In summary, you substitutionly switched the limits of integration for the function and got a different answer.
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int_0^{\infty}xe^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]u=-x^2dx[/tex]
[tex]-\frac 1 2 du=xdx[/tex]

[tex]-\frac 1 2 \int_0^{\infty}e^u du[/tex]

[tex]-\frac 1 2 e^{-x^2} |_0^{\infty}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{2e^{\infty^2}}-\left(-\frac{1}{2e^0}\right)[/tex]

It's not always a good idea to evaluate for the limit as your substituting.

Last edited:
where is my mistake in they way I've solved??

i my way didnt even came to the limit part

i was told to use limit for the interval that has infinity in it

transgalactic said:
where is my mistake in they way I've solved??

i my way didnt even came to the limit part

i was told to use limit for the interval that has infinity in it
You switched your limits while substituting. Do it again using 1 to infinity.

i need to switch the intervals if i want change my variables (in order to solve the question)

thats what i did
i don't see any reason why i need to change my variables
again for having the old intervals??

or what you are trying to say is
"that i can change variables in a way that keeps the old intervals"

in that case its impossible to do because every
subtitution changes the intervals

Last edited:
why is my solution wronge??

Last edited:
You made two mistakes. The first one is that you switched the limits after substituting, the integral should read:

[tex]\int_{1}^{0}\frac{t}{-2}dt[/tex]

The second one is that you do not need to inverse substitute the function. Why did you do this? You can integrate it directly with t as variable. Look back to the meaning of the substitution for definite integrals in your textbook. In case of an integral without limits, you should do this. You can do it here, but you will make it only more difficult on yourself.

i switched the intervals because
the higher value always need to be on the top.

even then the "1" interval gives me a different answer the the book does
??

regrading your second remark that you sayd about reverse substitution
thow its a long way
i didnt do anything wronge there

well as others pointed out, here is what u did wrong that u did not get the correct result:
u took this substitution [tex] t=e^{-x^{2}}[/tex],
now after u defferentiate we get [tex] -2xe^{-x^{2}}dx=dt[/tex]or
[tex]-2xtdx=dt[/tex] now divide by -2t and we get,( you should have done this way)
[tex]xdx=\frac{dt}{-2t}[/tex] and now go back and substitute for xdx, and also for [tex] t=e^{-x^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\int_0^{\infty}xe^{-x^2}dx=\frac{-1}{2}\int_1^{0}\frac{tdt}{t}=-\frac{-1}{2}\int_0^{1}dt=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{1}dt[/tex]and here is your second mistake,you did not change the sign of the ingegral when you switched boundaries.
Now i am sure u know how to go about the rest, so the answer obviously will be 1/2.
Look i am not even sure that this is a safe way to pursue, the reason that we got to the correct result might have been accidental, look it is more safe to use limits in these cases, at least i prefere to use them.

in the end i got to the same integral as you showed

regarding my second mistake:
that i forgot to multiply by a minusbut still i get the same "e" type expression
because as you showed ,the antiderivative will be
(0.5)t from one to zero
now when we substitute t with the original expression we get "e" type expression
and afiter solveing it the solution is:
1/(2*e) - 1/2

not 1/2

First, it is NOT true that "the higher value always need to be on the top." That is simply a convention for convenience. It is true that [itex]\int_a^b f dx= -\int_b^a f dx[/itex]. I you want to swap limits of integration you must also multiply by -1.

You did, correctly, substitute [itex]t= e^{-x^2}[/itex], change the limits of integration from x= 0, x=[itex]\infty[/itex] to t= 1, t= 0. You correctly integrated to get
[itex](-1/2)t]_{t=1}^0[/itex].

Unfortunately, you then changed the function back to "x" and evaluated at the "t" values! Either
[tex](-1/2)t]_{t=1}^0= [(-1/2)(0)-(-1/2)1]= 1/2[/tex]
or
[tex](-1/2)e^{-x^2}]_{x= 0}^\infty= [(-1/2)(0)-(-1/2)(1)]= 1/2[/tex]
would be correct.

ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i am such an idiot you are totaly right
finaly i got my redemption

thanks

Yeah, one great thing about definite integrals is that there is no need to go back to the original variable after a couple of substitutions that you might have made,however, if you really love so much the original variable, then you have to keep track of all the change in limits of integration that you have made on your way, and sometimes this is painful!
take care!

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite, or the function being integrated is undefined at some point within the integration interval. This type of integral is typically used to evaluate integrals that do not have a finite answer using traditional methods.

2. How do you evaluate an improper integral?

To evaluate an improper integral, you must first determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, you can use various mathematical techniques such as the comparison test or the limit comparison test to evaluate it. If it is divergent, it does not have a finite answer.

3. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent improper integral?

A convergent improper integral has a finite value, meaning that it can be evaluated using traditional methods. A divergent improper integral does not have a finite value and cannot be evaluated using traditional methods.

4. Can an improper integral have both limits of integration as infinite?

Yes, an improper integral can have both limits of integration as infinite. This is known as a double improper integral and is evaluated using similar techniques as a single improper integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of improper integrals?

Improper integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving infinite quantities, such as calculating the center of mass of an object or finding the work done by a variable force. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of events with infinite outcomes.