1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral Question

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    EDIT: I am sorry if you can't understand the integral straight away, I am not familiar with using the notion provided by this forum. I tried, but...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all values of the constant α for which the integral:
    ∫ [(x/(x^2 + 1)) - (3a/(3x + 1))] dx (from 0 to +infinitity)
    converges. Evaluate the integral for these values of α (as a function of α).

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know how to approach this. It seems simpler to separate it into 2 separate integrals. And in the integral with the constant 'a', I can sub u = 3x + 1, then du = 3dx
    Making it: adu/x

I don't really know if I am on the right track.

Thanks for reading this!
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You probably mean adu/u for your substitution. You are started on the right track. Work out both integrals and get the antiderivative as a function of x. Once you get that start working on what the limit of it is as x->infinity. Using the rules of logs will help.

4. Feb 4, 2012 #3
    Yes, adu/u. My fault. And thanks!

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4
    OK, now I am confused. The ln|3x+1| as x goes to infinity is infinity. So it diverges. But how do I make it converge? Same with the first part of the integral...

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Combine the two integral expressions. Use rules of logs. For a special value of a the divergences might cancel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook