Can You Solve This Improper Integral Trick for [0, infinity]?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of the function (x^3)/((e^x)-1) from 0 to infinity. The person suggests using substitution and integration by parts, but these methods do not work. Another person suggests using the substitution u=1-e^-x and expanding the fraction as a geometric series. This leads to the sum of inverse fourth powers of natural numbers, which is equal to pi^4/90. This can be used to calculate the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.
Nusc
Int[(x^3)/((e^x)-1)] [0, infinity]

What is the trick?

I thought of by-parts but how would you integrate 1/((e^x)-1)?

Substitution won't work with
u = e^x -1
with x = ln|u+1|

or it would be rather tough to evaluate u^3

Someone please give me a hint.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can take:

[tex]\frac{1}{e^x-1} = \frac{e^{-x}}{1-e^{-x}} [/tex]

and then use the substitution u=1-e-x.

u=1-e^-x
and dU= e^-x dx
dx = e^x du

e^-x = 1-u
e^x = 1/(1-u)

[(1-u)/u][1/(1-u)] = 1/u

Now putting limits from 0 to infinity.
ln|1-e^-x| = ln(1) - ln(1-1) = 0

That doesn't work.

Last edited:
Well, that's how you would get the indefinite integral of 1/(ex-1), which is what I thought you wanted, and although this diverges at 0 as 1/x, your original integral will not because of the x3 in the numerator.

So getting back to the original integral, I don't know how you would find the indefinite integral of this, but the trick to find the integral over the range you specified is this:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x-1} = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 e^{-x} dx}{1-e^{-x}} [/tex]

[tex]= \int_0^{\infty} x^3 e^{-x} (1+e^{-x}+e^{-2x}+...)dx [/tex]

This can be turned into a sum over the inverse fourth powers of the natural numbers, whose value is, I think, pi^4/90.

Exactly correct!

StatusX said:
[tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x-1} = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 e^{-x} dx}{1-e^{-x}} [/tex]

[tex]= \int_0^{\infty} x^3 e^{-x} (1+e^{-x}+e^{-2x}+...)dx [/tex]

This can be turned into a sum over the inverse fourth powers of the natural numbers, whose value is, I think, pi^4/90.

Exactly correct! In general: for all real y>1, (or complex y with real part greater than 1,) let

[tex]I_y=\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{y-1} dx}{e^x-1} = \int_0^{\infty} x^{y-1} e^{-x}\frac{1}{1-e^{-x}}dx, [/tex]

expanding the fraction as a geometric series gives

[tex]\frac{1}{1-e^{-x}}=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} e^{-kx}[/tex]

and hence

[tex]I_y= \int_0^{\infty} x^{y-1}e^{-x}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty} e^{-kx}dx = \int_0^{\infty} \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} e^{-kx}x^{y-1}dx = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-kx}x^{y-1} dx [/tex]

substitute [itex]u=kx[/itex] so that [itex]x=\frac{u}{k},[/itex] and hence [itex]dx=\frac{du}{k}[/itex] to get

[tex]I_y=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-u}\left( \frac{u}{k} \right) ^{y-1} \frac{du}{k} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \left( \frac{1}{k} \right) ^{y} \int_0^{\infty}e^{-u}u^{y-1}du=\zeta (y)\Gamma (y)[/tex]

By the way, I coppied this proof from mathworld. :biggrin:

In particular, we have [tex]\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^3 dx}{e^x-1} =\int_0^{\infty} \frac{x^{4-1} dx}{e^x-1} = \zeta (4)\Gamma (4) = \frac{\pi ^4}{90}\cdot 3! = \frac{\pi ^4}{15}[/tex]

Last edited:
Is there another and easier way?

I was never introduced to special functions.

Not really. All you have to do is get it into a form involving the sum:

[tex]1+\frac{1}{2^4}+\frac{1}{3^4}+...[/tex]

You can get to this step as long as you know how to do integrals like:

[tex]\int_0^{\infty} x^3 e^{-a x} dx[/tex]

Once you have it into that form, you can just take it as a given that the above sum is [itex]\pi^4/90[/itex]. The fact that pi is involved gives you a clue there probably isn't an easier way, unless there were some lucky trig substitution (which I'm pretty sure there isn't).

It was very useful to calculate the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

1. What is an "Improper Integral trick"?

An "Improper Integral trick" is a technique used in mathematics to evaluate improper integrals, which are integrals that have infinite limits or integrands that are undefined at certain points. This trick involves manipulating the integrand or changing the limits of integration in order to make the integral easier to evaluate.

2. When should I use the "Improper Integral trick"?

The "Improper Integral trick" should be used when evaluating integrals with infinite limits or integrands that are undefined at certain points. It can also be used when the standard methods of integration, such as substitution or integration by parts, are not applicable.

3. What are the steps involved in using the "Improper Integral trick"?

The first step is to identify the type of improper integral, whether it is a type 1 (infinite limit) or type 2 (undefined integrand) integral. Then, the appropriate manipulation or change of limits is applied to make the integral solvable. Finally, the integral is evaluated using the standard techniques of integration.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using the "Improper Integral trick"?

One potential drawback of using the "Improper Integral trick" is that it may lead to incorrect results if not used properly. It is important to be familiar with the properties of integrals and to carefully check the validity of any manipulations or changes of limits. Additionally, some integrals may require more complex or advanced techniques to evaluate, even with the "trick."

5. Can the "Improper Integral trick" be used for all types of improper integrals?

No, the "Improper Integral trick" may not be applicable to all types of improper integrals. Some integrals may require other techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions, to be evaluated. It is important to carefully consider the nature of the integral before applying the "trick."