Improper integral with logs

In summary, the problem is to evaluate the integral ∫e^x/(e^x)-1 from -1 to 1. The attempt at a solution involves breaking the integral into two parts and taking the limit as it approaches 0. This results in both parts evaluating to negative infinity, leading to the conclusion that the original improper integral also diverges to negative infinity.
dlthompson81

Homework Statement

The problem is ∫e^x/(e^x)-1 to be evaluated from -1 to 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the integral as ln|(e^x)-1|

So, for the first part, evaluating from -1 to 0, with t being the limit at 0 I got this:

ln|(e^t)-1| - ln|(e^-1)-1|

which is supposed to evaluate to negative infinity, and I don't understand that

t is approaching 0, so e^t should be 1, 1-1 is 0, and ln0 doesn't exist and (e^-1)-1 is also negative which doesn't exist, so I'm a little confused as to how it works out to negative infinity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
dlthompson81 said:

Homework Statement

The problem is ∫e^x/(e^x)-1 to be evaluated from -1 to 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the integral as ln|(e^x)-1|

So, for the first part, evaluating from -1 to 0, with t being the limit at 0 I got this:

ln|(e^t)-1| - ln|(e^-1)-1|

which is supposed to evaluate to negative infinity, and I don't understand that

t is approaching 0, so e^t should be 1, 1-1 is 0, and ln0 doesn't exist and (e^-1)-1 is also negative which doesn't exist, so I'm a little confused as to how it works out to negative infinity.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

What you want to do is to break up the integral into the sum of two parts like so:

lim (a → 0-) [ln (1 - e^a) - ln (1 - e^(-1))]

= lim (a → 0-) ln [(1 - e^a)/(1 - e^(-1))]

(the reason we swapped the terms around is because the modulus function applied on the argument for negative x necessitates a change of sign, otherwise the argument of the log function will be negative).

PLUS

lim (a → 0+) [ln (e^a - 1) - ln (e^1 - 1)]

= lim (a → 0+) ln [(e^a - 1)/(e^1 - 1)]

(here we don't need to swap the terms around because the argument is always positive).

Evaluate the two limits separately. Big hint: if you want to see why both ln(1 - e^a) and ln(e^a - 1) tend to negative infinity as a tends to zero, use the Taylor series for ln(z). which you can find on this Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithm (search for "Taylor"). You'll find that at the limit, the series will become the negative harmonic series, which diverges to negative infinity. Since you're summing the two parts, the original improper integral also diverges to negative infinity.

Last edited:

1. What is an improper integral with logs?

An improper integral with logs is an integral that involves logarithmic functions in its integrand and has one or both of its limits as infinity or a point of discontinuity.

2. How do you evaluate an improper integral with logs?

To evaluate an improper integral with logs, you first need to determine if it is convergent or divergent. If it is convergent, you can use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. If it is divergent, you can use the comparison test or the limit comparison test to determine its behavior at the given limits.

3. What are some common examples of improper integrals with logs?

Some common examples of improper integrals with logs include integrals with logarithmic functions in the integrand, such as ∫ ln x dx, or integrals with a logarithmic function as one of the limits, such as ∫ ln x / x dx from 0 to 1.

4. What is the importance of studying improper integrals with logs?

Studying improper integrals with logs is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as they often arise in solving real-world problems. For example, in physics, they can be used to model the behavior of systems with logarithmic growth or decay.

5. How do improper integrals with logs relate to other types of improper integrals?

Improper integrals with logs are a specific type of improper integral, along with integrals with power functions, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. They are all classified as improper integrals because they have one or both limits as infinity or a point of discontinuity. However, the techniques used to evaluate them may differ due to the unique properties of logarithmic functions.