1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-|x|} dx [/tex]

Could someone tell me why this integral, when you split it comes out to be:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^0 e^x dx + \int_0^{\infty} e^{-x} dx [/tex]

I keep thinking it should be e^(-x) in the first integral. I don't know why its positive. I can solve this integral otherwise. Thanks again.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2
    The absolute value is defined for a real number [itex] x [/itex] by
    |x|= \left \lbrace
    \begin{array}{l l}
    x & \mbox{if} \ x \geq 0 \\
    -x & \mbox{if} \ x\leq 0

when [itex]x[/itex] is in the interval [itex](-\infty,0)[/itex], then [itex] |x| = -x [/itex]. Likewise, when [itex]x[/itex] is in the interval [itex](0,\infty)[/itex], then [itex] |x| = x [/itex]. Therefore,

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-|x|}dx = \int_{-\infty}^0 e^{-(-x)}dx
    = \int_{-\infty}^0 e^x dx [/tex]
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. Mar 20, 2006 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Im sorry that definition confuses me...... I always thought the absolute value was the positive distance of that number from the origin, leading me to believe that |-x|= x. This seems contrary.
  5. Mar 20, 2006 #4
    This is true.
    This is false. For example take [itex]x=-3[/itex]. Then your saying that [itex]|-(-3)| = -3[/itex], which is the same as saying that [itex]|3| = -3[/itex], which is clearly false. I used paranthenses to delimit the value which was substituted for x, namely -3.

However, if we use the definition of absolute value, we arive at the correct result. For example, if [itex] x=-3[/itex], we have that [itex]x<0[/itex] so we use the second case of the definition to arrive that [itex]|x| = -x[/itex], which gives [itex] |-3| = -(-3) = 3[/itex].

Try plugging in different values for x into the definition to convince yourself that this definition works.

The definition for when [itex]x>0[/itex] should be clear. The absolute value of a positive number is a positive quantity and is equal to that number. However if [itex] x<0 [/itex], then [itex] -x>0 [/itex], so [itex]-x[/itex] is a positive number (don't let the negative sign confuse you, remember that the negative of a negative number is positive).
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?