1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral

1. Nov 2, 2007 #1
    For the integral from 0 to infinity of

I am getting as far as:

-1/5*x*e^(-5x) + 1/5*int of (e^(-5x)dx)

But I am getting stuck at this point. We are supposed to come out with 1/25 for the answer but how would I evaluate the "-1/5*x*e^(-5x)" since that is already out of the integral????

Thank you in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

4. Nov 2, 2007 #3
    yes do it by parts
  5. Nov 3, 2007 #4
    does the integral really converge to 1/25?
  6. Nov 3, 2007 #5

Science Advisor

Yes, 1/25 is the answer.
  7. Nov 3, 2007 #6
    How does it converge to 1/25? Do you have to evaluate the the result as a limit by applying the L'hopital rule? Or is there a better way of evaluating this integral?
  8. Nov 3, 2007 #7
    No, forget about the deadly L'hopital's rule, you only apply that on something that gives you 0/0 or infinity/infinity.

Your basic method of plugging in the limits of your integral, after you get the solution works here. Do you know what e^(-infinity) turns out to be?. That will simplify your solution.
  9. Nov 3, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you saying that you cannot evaluate xe-5x at 0 and [itex]\infty[/itex]? That's easy! at 0, you have 0*1= 0 and any polynomial time e-x goes to 0 as x goes to [itex]\infty[/itex] so that part is 0.

Of course, the integral of 1/5 e-5x is -1/25 e-5x. At x= [itex]\infty[/itex] that is 0 and at x= 0, it is -1/25. The difference is 1/25
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?