1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral

1. Mar 27, 2008 #1
    Improper Integral [Solved]

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

\int_{0}^{\infty} (x-1)e^{-x}dx

2. Relevant equations

Integration by Parts
    Improper Integrals

3. The attempt at a solution

\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^R~xe^{-x}-e^{-x}dx

Let u = x
    du = dx

Let dv = e^-x
    v = -e^-x

-xe^{-x} - \int -e^{-x}dx

-xe^{-x}-e^{-x} - \int e^{-x}dx

= -xe^{-x}

\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}-xe^{-x} \mid_{0}^{R}=0

Now there is clearly area when I look at the graph, but the graph intersects the x-axis at x=1 not x=0 I’m wondering if this is some sort of trick with the bounds of integration that I don’t see or if I made a mistake with my integration.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No integration mistake. But remember that the 'area' an integral measures is area above the x-axis minus area below the x-axis. In your case these areas are equal.
  4. Mar 27, 2008 #3

I guess since the area wasn’t symmetrical I just assumed it could not be zero, and that I had made a mistake.
  5. Mar 27, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

When you graph [tex]xe^{-x}-e^{-x}[/tex] , it does seem remarkable that that little sliver above the x-axis from x = 1 out to infinity is actually going to cancel out that curved wedge between x = 0 and x = 1. But you can satisfy yourself that you've made no mistake in your integration by evaluating the areas from x = 0 to x=1 and from x = 1 to x -> infinity separately. The areas are -1/e and +1/e , so you're OK...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?