Solve Improper Integral: \int_{0}^{\infty} (x-1)e^{-x}dx

In summary, to solve the improper integral \int_{0}^{\infty} (x-1)e^{-x}dx, we use integration by parts to obtain the limit as R approaches infinity of -xe^{-x} evaluated from 0 to R, which simplifies to 0. This may seem counterintuitive since the graph is not symmetrical, but the areas above and below the x-axis cancel out.
RyanSchw
Improper Integral [Solved]

Homework Statement

[tex]
\int_{0}^{\infty} (x-1)e^{-x}dx
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Integration by Parts
Improper Integrals

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^R~xe^{-x}-e^{-x}dx
[/tex]

Let u = x
du = dx

Let dv = e^-x
v = -e^-x

[tex]
-xe^{-x} - \int -e^{-x}dx
[/tex]

[tex]
-xe^{-x}-e^{-x} - \int e^{-x}dx
[/tex]

[tex]
= -xe^{-x}
[/tex]

[tex]
\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}-xe^{-x} \mid_{0}^{R}=0
[/tex]

Now there is clearly area when I look at the graph, but the graph intersects the x-axis at x=1 not x=0 I’m wondering if this is some sort of trick with the bounds of integration that I don’t see or if I made a mistake with my integration.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No integration mistake. But remember that the 'area' an integral measures is area above the x-axis minus area below the x-axis. In your case these areas are equal.

Thanks.

I guess since the area wasn’t symmetrical I just assumed it could not be zero, and that I had made a mistake.

RyanSchw said:
Thanks.

I guess since the area wasn’t symmetrical I just assumed it could not be zero, and that I had made a mistake.

When you graph [tex]xe^{-x}-e^{-x}[/tex] , it does seem remarkable that that little sliver above the x-axis from x = 1 out to infinity is actually going to cancel out that curved wedge between x = 0 and x = 1. But you can satisfy yourself that you've made no mistake in your integration by evaluating the areas from x = 0 to x=1 and from x = 1 to x -> infinity separately. The areas are -1/e and +1/e , so you're OK...

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand is unbounded at one or more points within the interval of integration. In this case, the integral cannot be evaluated using traditional methods and requires special techniques.

2. Why is this integral considered improper?

This integral is considered improper because the upper limit of integration is infinite, which means that the interval of integration extends to infinity.

3. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first identify the type of improper integral (infinite limits or unbounded integrand). Then, you can use techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions to transform the integral into a form that can be evaluated. Finally, you take the limit as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity to find the value of the integral.

4. What is the solution to this particular improper integral?

The solution to this improper integral is 1/2. This can be found by using integration by parts and taking the limit as the upper limit of integration approaches infinity.

5. What is the significance of solving improper integrals?

Solving improper integrals allows us to find the areas under curves that extend to infinity or have unbounded integrands. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating probabilities, finding volumes of revolution, and solving differential equations.