Solving Improper Integral: \int\frac{dx}{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+1} from 0 to ∞

In summary, the problem involves evaluating the integral \int\frac{dx}{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+1} from infinity to zero. The solution requires using partial fractions, and after solving for the coefficients, the integral can be split into two terms. The first term can be integrated as \frac{1}{2}ln|x+1| and the second term can be integrated using the substitution u=x^2 and the known antiderivative tan^{-1}x.
jen333

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral: [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+1}[/tex]
from infinity to zero

Homework Equations

lim t--> infinity [/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

lim t-->infinity [/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{dx}{(x+1)(x^{2}+1}[/tex]

I'm stuck on where to go from here. I tried partial fractions, but can't seem to get it. any hints would be a great help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
partial fractions, yes.

[tex]
\frac{1}{x^3+x^2+x+1}=\frac{A}{x+1}+\frac{B+Cx}{x^2+1}=\frac{A(x^2+1)+(B+Cx)(x+1)}{x^3+x^2+x+1}
[/tex]

So you must have
[tex]
1=A(x^2+1)+(B+Cx)(x+1)=(A+C)x^2+(B+C)x+A+B
[/tex]

Comparing coefficients of the same powers of x you get the equation:

1=A+B
0=B+C
0=A+C

which you can easily solve, I assume :smile:

Do you know to integrate the partial fractions?

Last edited:
Oh! I see, i must have miswritten something when i was doing partial fractions. Thank you so much for the help!

I 'll give it a shot and see what comes up

alright, so I've worked on solving this problem up to:

a=1/2 b=1/2 c=-1/2

so my integral terms would be:
[tex]\frac{1/2}{x+1}[/tex]-([tex]\frac{(1/2)x-(1/2)}{x^{2}+1}[/tex])

taking the antiderivative:
i have, [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]ln|x+1| for the first term
as for the second, i know one of the terms will be tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex]x because of the denominator, but I'm having troubles with the numerator since I can't use substitution for it.

Split the second term into two. For the one with the x in the numerator you can use the substitution

u=x^2
du=2xdx

The first term (with the constant numerator).. well..you know how to do it:smile:

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral with one or both of its limits being infinite or the integrand having an infinite discontinuity at one or more points within the interval.

2. How do you determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an improper integral is convergent or divergent, you can use the limit comparison test, comparison test, or the integral test. These tests compare the given integral to a known convergent or divergent integral, and based on the result, you can determine the convergence or divergence of the given integral.

3. Can we use the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve improper integrals?

Yes, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve improper integrals as long as the integral is convergent. The fundamental theorem of calculus states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a, b] and F(x) is its antiderivative, then the definite integral of f(x) from a to b is equal to F(b) - F(a).

4. How do we solve an improper integral with an infinite limit?

To solve an improper integral with an infinite limit, we need to rewrite the integral as a limit expression and then evaluate the limit. This involves breaking the integral into smaller integrals that are convergent and then taking the limit as the upper or lower limit approaches infinity or negative infinity.

5. How do we solve the improper integral \int\frac{dx}{x^{3}+x^{2}+x+1} from 0 to ∞?

To solve this improper integral, we need to first rewrite it as a limit expression:
limt→∞t01/(x3+x2+x+1)dx
Then, we can use the partial fraction decomposition method to simplify the integrand and break it into smaller integrals. After evaluating the limit, we can determine if the integral is convergent or divergent.