1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    This was a problem on one of my previous tests that I got wrong entirely. In preparing for my final, I'm attempting to redo it. I was wondering if someone could check my work.

Determine whether the following improper integral is convergent or divergent. If the integeral is convergent, find its value.

[tex]I = \int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{2x}{(x^{2}+1)^{1.2}}[/tex]

which, after carrying out the 1.2, becomes

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}\frac{2x}{(x^{2.4}+1)}[/tex]

That's where I get stuck. I know that the function diverges, but I don't know how to prove it.

I thought about trying to manipulate it somehow so that the function I'm comparing it to is in the form

[tex]\frac{1}{x^{p}}[/tex]

I started off by trying a direct comparison test and compared it to [tex]\frac{2x}{x^{2.4}}[/tex] which can simplify to

[tex]\frac{2}{x^{.4}}[/tex]

So, since the above function has [tex]p=.4<1[/tex], it diverges, by the Direct Comparison Test, [tex]I[/tex] diverges.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Be careful! [itex](a + b)^p \neq (a^{p} + b^p)[/itex].

Furthermore, the function [itex]2x/x^{2.4}[/itex] is actually slightly larger than your original integrand, so the fact that the integral over this diverges doesn't actually tell you anything about the convergence/divergence of your original integrand.

The fact that there is a [itex]2x[/itex] in the integrand suggests you should make the substitution [itex]u = x^2 + 1[/itex]. Then your integral becomes

[tex]I = \int^{\infty}_{1}\frac{du}{u^{1.2}} = \int^{\infty}_{1}\frac{du}{u^{6/5}}[/tex]

This is an integral you can do, and you should be able to tell if it diverges or converges.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  4. May 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?