1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integral

1. Jul 29, 2010 #1
    How do you get this:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-(ax^2+b/x^2)}dx = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}e^{-2\sqrt{ab}}[/tex]

I've been trying all the tricks I know, like differentiating under the integral sign and whatnot, but I can't get it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2010 #2
    In which course did you run into this monster?

4. Jul 29, 2010 #3
    Not in any course. I came across it in a paper where they calculate the probability that a Brownian motion X(t) crosses the line at+b at some point during the interval (0, T).

5. Jul 29, 2010 #4
    Send a link of the paper?

6. Jul 30, 2010 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

1)Let I be your integral
    2)Find I' by differentiating under the integral sign with respect to sqrt(b)
    3)Effect the change of variable u=sqrt(b/a)/x (break up the interval at 0)
    4)Notice I=-2sqrt(a)I'
    5)Conclude I=I0 exp(-2sqrt(ab))
    6)Compute I0

sqrt() denotes the square root
    I' is the derivative of I with respect to sqrt(b)
    I0 is your integral when b=0
    See this thread
    Feynman's Calculus

7. Jul 30, 2010 #6
    Thanks, lurflurf! That's exactly what I needed. Well done. That's an excellent thread you linked to, also. Surely, You're Joking is where I first learned about differentiating under the integral sign. I apparently need more practice at applying it, though.

Sure. Here is the paper where the probability is calculated (near the end) using Laplace transforms:

http://projecteuclid.org/DPubS?service=UI&version=1.0&verb=Display&handle=euclid.pjm/1102911625

Here is a paper that makes use of the result. Scroll down to where it says "Kelly Criterion"--that's it. In the section on probability of reaching a goal within a certain time.

http://edwardothorp.com/id10.html

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook