1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integral

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}{y^{2}+1}dy[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    The answer is [itex]\pi\log(x+1)[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have attempted many different substitutions like [itex]y=\tan\theta[/itex]. I have also tried breaking up the log but nothing definitive comes out. Any help would be appreciated. I would prefer to not use any complex analysis.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Which is the variable of integration? Without either dx or dy, I can't tell.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    Sorry. It is now fixed. We are integrating with respect to y.

5. Apr 18, 2013 #4
    I am beginning to think that there is a way to show that the integral is equal to [itex]\pi\log(x+1)[/itex] without directly computing the integral. Any thoughts?

6. Apr 18, 2013 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps, ...

consider that [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{d}{dx}\pi\log(x+1)=\frac{\pi}{x+1}\ .[/itex]

7. Apr 18, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Yes, this.

Expressing it as an expansion can also work.

8. Apr 18, 2013 #7
    Hmm. That looks very interesting. Thanks guys. I will play with that.

9. Apr 18, 2013 #8
    I am confused. How do I use the fact that [itex]\frac{d}{dx}\pi\log(x+1)=\frac{\pi}{x+1}[/itex]? Shouldn't we be considering the changes in [itex]y[/itex] and not [itex]x[/itex]?

10. Apr 18, 2013 #9

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Are you familiar with the expansion for ##\frac{1}{1-x}##?

Use that to find an expansion for ##\frac{\pi}{1-(-x)}##

What do you get?

11. Apr 18, 2013 #10
    I got [itex]\pi\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}x^{n}[/itex] but I don't see how I can apply this to solving the integral.

12. Apr 19, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let the original integral be F(x). What does dF/dx look like? Can you solve the integral wrt y in that?

13. Apr 19, 2013 #12
    [itex]F(x)=\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}{y^{2}+1}dy[/itex]
    so
    [itex]\frac{d}{dx}F(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}{y^{2}+1}dy=\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{2xy^{2}}{(y^{2}+1)(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}dy=2x\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{y^{2}}{(y^{2}+1)(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}dy=2x\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\left[\frac{Ay+B}{y^{2}+1}+\frac{Cy+D}{x^{2}y^{2}+1}\right][/itex]
    where [itex]A,C=0[/itex] and [itex]B=-\frac{1}{1-x^{2}},D=\frac{1}{1-x^{2}}[/itex]. Then
    [itex]2x\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\left[\frac{Ay+B}{y^{2}+1}+\frac{Cy+D}{x^{2}y^{2}+1}\right]=\frac{2x}{1-x^{2}}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x^{2}y^{2}+1}dy-\frac{2x}{1-x^{2}}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{y^{2}+1}dy=\frac{2x}{1-x^{2}}\left(\frac{\pi}{2x}\right)-\frac{2x}{1-x^{2}}\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right)=\frac{\pi-x\pi}{1-x^{2}}=\pi\left(\frac{1-x}{1-x^{2}}\right)=\frac{\pi}{x+1}[/itex].

This shows that
    [itex]\frac{d}{dx}F(x)=\frac{d}{dx}\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}{y^{2}+1}dy=\frac{d}{dx}\pi\log(x+1)[/itex]
    but I don't see how it shows that
    [itex]\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}{y^{2}+1}dy=\pi\log(x+1)[/itex].
    When we integrate them both in terms of [itex]x[/itex], would we not have a constant on both sides that could be different?

14. Apr 19, 2013 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, so the final step is to show that the constant is zero. You have f(x) = g(x) + c for all x. How might you determine c? Any ideas?

15. Apr 19, 2013 #14
    Hmm... Let me sit on this for a while. I will post again once I have an idea! Thanks!

16. Apr 19, 2013 #15
    Ok. Here's an idea. Took longer to think of than it should of..
    Since
    [itex]F(x)=\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(x^{2}y^{2}+1)}{y^{2}+1}=\pi\log(x+1)+C[/itex]
    we can let [itex]x=0[/itex] such that
    [itex]F(0)=\int\limits_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\log(1)}{y^{2}+1}=\pi\log(1)+C=0[/itex].
    Hence it must be that [itex]C=0[/itex].

17. Apr 20, 2013 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That'll do it.

18. Apr 20, 2013 #17
    Thanks a ton!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted