Solve Improper Integral Homework - Get Help Now!

In summary, an improper integral is an integral with infinite bounds or an undefined integrand, which requires special techniques to solve. To determine if an integral is improper, one can check for infinite or undefined bounds, or evaluate the integral for a finite or infinite value. Techniques for solving improper integrals include the limit comparison test, direct comparison test, and integral comparison test, as well as partial fractions, substitution, or integration by parts. Unlike regular integrals, improper integrals require additional steps and may result in a finite or infinite value. While some improper integrals can be solved without advanced techniques, more complex integrals may require these methods for a solution.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

7d4e50778928226bfdc0e51fb64facfb.jpg

https://holland.pk/uptow/i4/7d4e50778928226bfdc0e51fb64facfb.jpg

Homework Equations

improper integral

The Attempt at a Solution

(attached)
Whats wrong with my calculation?
I cannot figure it out after hours...
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the substitution, it's actually ##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x}}##.

Likes yecko
oh yes. thank you

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the bounds of integration are infinite or the integrand is undefined at some point within the bounds. This type of integral requires special techniques to solve, as the usual methods of integration may not apply.

2. How do I know if an integral is improper?

An integral is improper if one or both of the bounds of integration are infinite or if the integrand is undefined at some point within the bounds. This can also be determined by evaluating the integral and seeing if it results in a finite or infinite value.

3. What are some techniques for solving improper integrals?

There are several techniques for solving improper integrals, including the limit comparison test, the direct comparison test, and the integral comparison test. Other methods include using partial fractions, substitution, or integration by parts.

4. Can I use the same steps to solve an improper integral as a regular integral?

No, improper integrals require additional steps and techniques to solve. This is because the usual methods of integration may not apply, and the integral may result in a finite or infinite value depending on the bounds and integrand.

5. Is it possible to solve an improper integral without using advanced techniques?

In some cases, it is possible to solve an improper integral without using advanced techniques. For example, if the integrand is a rational function, it can be solved using partial fractions. However, for more complex integrals, advanced techniques may be necessary to find a solution.