1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper Integrals

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the value of the constant C for which the following integral converges. Evaluate the integral for this value of C:

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{x}{x^2+1}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{C}{3x+1}[/tex]dx from 0 to infinity

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{t->inf.}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{x}{x^2+1}[/tex] dx - [tex]\stackrel{lim}{t->inf.}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{C}{3x+1}[/tex] dx
    for (x^2/(x^2+1):
    u = x^2 + 1
    du = 2xdx
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{t->inf.}[/tex] (1/2)ln(u) dx
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{t->inf.}[/tex] (1/2)ln(x^2+1) ] [tex]\stackrel{t}{0}[/tex]
    [tex]\stackrel{lim}{t->inf.}[/tex] (1/2)ln(t^2+1)

Now I am unsure of what to do. How do I know the limit of this first half? How can I use it to help me find what value of C will make it convergent? Your time and effort is greatly appreciated in helping me understand this :smile:\

***Please note (I don't know how to format limits haha) that I mean the limit as t approaches infinity! Thanks!***
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't integrate them separately, they both diverge (they are ~1/x for large x). Combine them algebraically first and see if you can find a value of C that eliminates that divergence.
  4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    Ok, I will try that, but I am still unsure of my objective in integrating. Should I be looking to eliminate factors from the top and bottom to simplify the integrand before I integrate and take the limit? And I am just looking to make it so that the limit exists?
  5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are trying to get C to cancel a term in the numerator that's causing the divergence. For example, ((C-1)*x+1)/(x^2+1) diverges if C=2. Since it behaves like 1/x for large x. But if C=1 it converges, since it's just an arctan. You cancelled the x part that's causing problems. That kind of cancellation.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  6. Sep 27, 2008 #5
    Ahh, ok, I see what you mean by cancellation now. So I am basically trying to cancel out the effect of a smaller power of x over a larger power of x. But I'm not seeing a way to get rid of the x^3. Unless I am supposed to make the whole numerator 1? (I'm sorry I'm being so dense today, calculus tends to do that to me :rofl:)
  7. Sep 27, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think canceling out the x^2 in the numerator would be a good idea. What did you get for the combined integrand anyway?
  8. Sep 28, 2008 #7
    I got:
    [(3-c)x^2+x-c] / [3x^3+x^2+3x+1]

And then if I plug in for 3=c, I get

lim as t approaches infinity of [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{t}_{0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{x-3}{3x^3+x^2+3x+1}[/tex]

And now, as my luck would have it, I am stuck integrating. I cannot factor the denominator so I think integration by parts is out of the question and I don't think factoring by grouping would yield any sort of cancellation with the numerator. Any tips? :uhh:
  9. Sep 28, 2008 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x^2*(3x+1)+(3x+1) is another way of writing the denominator. Sure you can't factor it? I'd say try partial fractions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?