Improper Integrals: Convergence & Evaluation

• Thread starter lha08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the convergence of an integral and evaluating it if it is convergent. It also mentions using integration by parts to find the antiderivative. The final answer is determined and the question of whether e^(-3t) goes towards negative infinity as t goes to infinity is clarified.
lha08

Homework Statement

Determine whether the integral is divergent or convergent. If it is convergent, evaluate it. If not, give the answer -1. :
Integral from 6 to infinity x(e^(-3x))dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In this case, i first made the limit as t goes to infinity Integral from 6 to t x(e^(-3x))dx and then i did a u sub (u=-3x and du/-3=dx) but when i tried to replace x in the original equation which i thought would be x=u/-3. From there, i replaced the values and solved it but it's wrong...and i know for sure that's its convergent but i don't know where I'm going wrong... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is convergent. To get the antiderivative you need to integrate by parts.

Dick said:
It is convergent. To get the antiderivative you need to integrate by parts.

okay so i did the ibp and set u=x du=dx and dv=e^(-3x) dx V=e^(-3x)/-3 ..i'm not sure but do i evaluate the entire equation from 6 to t or do i have to change the limits of integration?? I tried leaving it as it and evaluated it as t goes to infinity but i got the wrong answer... thanks

It looks like you are on the right track. What did you finally get for the antiderivative? What did you get for an answer? What do you think the answer should be?

Dick said:
It looks like you are on the right track. What did you finally get for the antiderivative? What did you get for an answer? What do you think the answer should be?

I finally got the answer! You were very helpful! But i have one small question about the question when i was evaluating the limit as t goes to infinity for [(te^(-3t)/-3)-(e^(-3t)/9)]...i was just wondering about the e^(-3t) and as it goes to infinity, does it go towards negative infinity? and if i divide infinity by a number does it head to zero?

The limit as t goes to infinity of e^(-3t) is zero isn't it? The t*e^(-3t) part is the one you might worry about. But you can show that goes too by zero to using l'Hopital's theorem.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral that cannot be evaluated using the standard methods due to one or more of the following reasons: the limits of integration are infinite, the integrand is unbounded, or the integrand is undefined at certain points within the limits of integration.

2. How do you determine the convergence of an improper integral?

To determine the convergence of an improper integral, you must evaluate the integral using a limit as one or both of the limits of integration approach infinity. If the limit exists and is finite, then the improper integral is said to converge. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the improper integral diverges.

3. Can an improper integral have both a finite and infinite value?

Yes, an improper integral can have both a finite and infinite value. This occurs when the integrand is unbounded or undefined at one of the limits of integration, but the other limit of integration is finite and the integral converges.

4. How do you evaluate an improper integral with an unbounded integrand?

If the integrand is unbounded at one or both of the limits of integration, you can use the comparison test to evaluate the improper integral. This involves finding a simpler function that is always greater than or equal to the original integrand and comparing the convergence of the simpler function's integral to the original improper integral.

5. Can a convergent improper integral have a discontinuity within the limits of integration?

Yes, a convergent improper integral can have a discontinuity within the limits of integration. This is because the limit used to evaluate the integral takes into account the behavior of the function around the discontinuity and can still result in a finite value.