1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integrals

1. Apr 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the integral is divergent or convergent. If it is convergent, evaluate it.
    Integral from (1 to 8) 4/(x-3)^3 dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So firstly, i pulled out the 4 and then i set the lim as t goes to 8 from the left of the integral. From there, i applied the u sub with u=x-3 and du=dx. I then did the antiderivative of it which gives me: 4 lim (as t goes to 8 from left) integral from 1 to t (1/(-2u^2)) and then i changed the limits of integration...t=t-3 and 1=-2. but when i plugged them in and evaluated i got 0.42..which is wrong...i don't know where i'm going wrong. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure it's convergent? What happens at x=3?

4. Apr 4, 2009 #3
    ohh the bottom heads the zero so at x=3 it does not exist, right? so it diverges..

5. Apr 4, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case, yes, it diverges. But just having a zero denominator doesn't prove that. You are dealing with improper integrals. 1/sqrt(x) has a finite integral on [0,1]. Why is your case different?

6. Apr 4, 2009 #5
    Um i'm not really sure but the first thought that comes to mind is that 4/0 does not exist and that 3 is found in the limits of integration..but i'm really not sure...

7. Apr 4, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing 'improper integrals', right? To figure out whether 1/(x-3)^3 has an integral on [0,3], don't you do the integral from 0 to 3-e where e is some small positive number and then take the limit as e tends to zero?

8. Apr 4, 2009 #7
    You are right that 3 is in the interval [1,8] and that the function has a discontinuity at x=3. Do you know of a technique that can get the point 3 in the limits of integration?

Note that in the case of [itex]1/\sqrt{x}[/itex], integrated over the interval [0,1], the discontinuity happens at an endpoint of the interval. Then the integral can be evaluated by:
    [tex]\int_0^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \,dx = \lim_{t\to 0^+} \int_t^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \,dx[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook