1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Improper integrals

1. Oct 3, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    integral 1/x^(2/3)dx from -1 to 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i split it up into two integrals, one with limits going from -1 to b and the other with limits going from c to 1, and taking the limits as b and c go to 0
    i know my antiderivative is 3x^(1/3) and i plugged in my limits of integration and then took the limit as both b and c went to 0 and i got an answer of 3-3(-1)^(1/3) i know this is wrong simply because the cube root of -1 will be give me a complex number but i tried it on wolfram alpha and it gave me the same answer. i looked at the back of my book and it says the answer is 6, i dont understand how the book got an answer of 6

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wolfram Alpha is wrong and so is plugging into the antiderivative (which it's likely WA did) for an improper integral. 1/x^(2/3) is actually an even function if you take it to be (1/x^(1/3))^2, isn't it? That should mean you can take the improper integral over (0,1] and double it. What's that integral? BTW (-1)^(1/3) is not necessarily a complex number.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  4. Oct 3, 2011 #3
    ohh thanks! ill watch out for even and odd functions

one more quick question though
    i have another improper integral, its 2dx/(x^2-1) from -infinity to -2
    so i broke it up into two integrals, the first one has limits from a to -1 with the limit as a approaches -infinity and the second is from -1 to -2
    am i doing this right?

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do you need the integral from -1 to -2? -1 isn't in (-infinity,-2). There's no need to break it there. Just integrate from a to -2.

6. Oct 3, 2011 #5
    ohh alright
    thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook