Solving Improper Integrals: $\int_2^{inf} \frac{2}{(x+3)^{3/2}}$

• Thread starter ProBasket
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the limit of a function as x approaches infinity. The speaker explains that after integrating the given problem and plugging in the values, the function goes to -4 X 10^-inf, indicating that the answer is divergent. They also mention trying different values, such as 4/5 and -4/5, but it did not work. The expert then clarifies that lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{x^n} where n is any positive real number goes to zero. The speaker thanks the expert for their help and realizes they made a mistake in their calculation.
ProBasket
[tex]\int_2^{inf} \frac{2}{(x+3)^{3/2}}[/tex]

integrating the problem, i get:
[tex]\frac{-4}{sqrt(x+3)}[/tex]

now integrating from 2 to inf(replaced with b), plugging in 2, i get -4/5:
f(b) + 4/5
lim->inf

it looks like f(b), lim->inf goes to -4 X 10^-inf

so wouldn't the answer just be divergent? i also tried 4/5 and -4/5, but it wouldn't work. i don't really know the proper way to find the limit. all i do is plug in the largests number and try to find a pattern.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{x^n}[/tex] where n is any positive real number ?

looks like it goes to zero

yes, but i still don't get it... what are you trying to tell me?

are you saying that f(b),lim->inf goes to zero? and the answer should be 4/5?

ah, thanks for the help. actually, f(2) is not equal to 4/5, i typed it wrong in my calculator. i need some sleep, thanks agian.

I realize that i didn't bother to do the calcuation for you and that's why i agreed with you...:wink:

Daniel.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is one that either has an infinite limit of integration, or has a function that is not defined at one or more points within the limits. This means that the traditional methods of integration cannot be used, and special techniques must be employed to solve the integral.

2. How do you solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, we use a technique called "limit of integration". This involves finding the limit of the integral as one or both of the limits of integration approach infinity. We then evaluate the integral using this limit, which often involves breaking the integral into smaller, solvable parts.

3. What is the specific technique used to solve the given improper integral?

The specific technique used to solve this improper integral is called the "p-series method". This method is used for integrals with a power function in the denominator, and involves finding the value of the integral using the limit of integration as the power approaches infinity.

4. Can you explain the steps involved in solving this improper integral?

First, we rewrite the integral as a limit of integration, taking the upper limit to infinity. Then, we use the p-series method to evaluate the integral, which involves finding the value of the limit as the power of the denominator approaches infinity. Finally, we substitute the limit into the integral and solve for the final value.

5. Are there any other methods that can be used to solve improper integrals?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve improper integrals, such as the comparison test, the alternating series test, and the ratio test. These methods are useful when the integral cannot be solved using the p-series method, and involve comparing the given integral to a known, solvable integral.